Stuart A. Reid
The Setonian
News

Clinton advocates stem cell research at Dartmouth campaign stop

Presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., called on her fellow senators to fund stem cell research and said that as president she would make lifting the ban on the research "a very high priority as soon as taking office," during a town hall"style rally in Alumni Hall in the Hopkins Center Friday afternoon. At the event, which was billed as a conversation about stem cell research, Clinton both condemned the Bush administration's insistence on forbidding research it deems unethical and portrayed the issue as one that transcends partisan politics. She couched her criticism in an overall attack on what she termed Bush's misuse of science. "For the past six years, science has been under siege in Washington," she said.

The Setonian
News

Lawley '04 seeking publisher for novel

Strip clubs, meth labs and teenage life in rural Oklahoma are all topics central to the senior thesis of Mark Lawley '04: a novel titled "Strip Club of God." After a year-and-a-half of revisions, he finished his work on March 13, 2006 and has sent the manuscript to his agent, who Lawley hopes will agree to shop the book to publishers. "I was expecting some big relief, but that wasn't the case.

The Setonian
News

Nev. race to play down College debates

New Hampshire's first-in-the-nation presidential primary may lose importance following a recommendation of the Democrats' rules and bylaws committee that changes the schedule of state presidential contests.

The Setonian
News

Magazine scam artist infiltrates campus

Following several suspicious encounters, Safety and Security warned students to beware of door-to-door salesmen who offer false stories in order to sell potentially fake magazine subscriptions in campus residence halls. Jeannie Valkevich '08 had just entered her room on the fourth floor of Streeter Hall on July 10 when a man wearing a grey Dartmouth football T-shirt knocked on her door.

The Setonian
News

Visa laws force some to forego summer term

In the face of recently enforced immigration regulations that make it difficult to stay at Dartmouth legally during sophomore summer, only 38 percent of sophomore international students are on campus this term, according to the Dean of the College Office, often after rearranging their Dartmouth Plans and risking canceled visas. In 2005, the U.S.

The Setonian
News

Brother and sister tackle Darfur crisis

Back from Sudan, brother and sister Brian Steidle and Gretchen Steidle Wallace Tu'01 reported on the crisis in the Darfur region and promoted volunteerism Friday as part of the Tucker Foundation's Sophomore Summer Opening Address.

More articles »