Nathan W. Chaney
The Setonian
Arts

Tricky's new album moves to straightforward sound

In common offhanded fashion, Beck managed to describe with ironic clarity the nature of his goal as an artist in the recent premiere of Talk Magazine. "I'm not interested in making any millennial statements," he said, "I just want to make a dumb party album to have sex to." Tricky -- who, like Beck, is a member of the short list of avante-pop icons of the '90s -- probably would not want his music reduced to its most superficial elements, despite its prevalence both in bedrooms and smoke-filled dens across the world.

The Setonian
News

Faculty housing raises controversy

The College is grappling with the town of Hanover over proposed construction plans for the 23 moderately priced homes for Dartmouth faculty near Grasse Road -- a site that is sandwiched between protected wetlands. Members of the Hanover Conservation Commission contend that the proposal -- which aims primarily to provide affordable housing for Dartmouth faculty who are currently forced to live far from campus due to the high cost of Hanover real estate -- is impermissible because it violates both state and local ordinances protecting wetland environments. "There are several houses [in the plan] that are beyond the buffer zone and will actually be constructed on wetland areas," Conservation Commission member Kittie Murray said.

The Setonian
News

Fees Committee could suggest fine reductions

While the issue of College fees and fines has long been criticized by students, members of a committee looking into the situation are close to making a recommendation that could reduce or even eliminate some penalties. The work of the committee, however, is kept somewhat secret, and its members were reluctant to give many conclusive details.

More articles »