M. Lee Pelton
The Setonian
Opinion

Hate Speech Not Adjudicable But Is Subject To Disapproval

To the Editor: I am writing in response to questions that my office has received regarding a racial slur written on the message board and the student residence door of two College undergraduates of Asian descent. As has been reported in The Dartmouth, the student who reportedly wrote this hateful message has been identified.

The Setonian
Opinion

'Hatred and bigotry under the cloak of cowardice'

To the Dartmouth Community: On Thursday, Feb. 16, the undergraduate co-chair of the Dartmouth, Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Organization (DaGLO) received in the DaGLO Hinman box a flier announcing a meeting scheduled for Saturday evening, entitled "Let's Talk About Faggots." Included among several topics for discussion were "Is it OK to shoot gays?" Additionally, while the flier commented that "homosexuals have an agenda aimed at earning complete tolerance and equality in America," it promised that "on February l8, we will talk about why gays do NOT deserve special rights." The purpose of this flier appears to have been to provoke and hurt members of the Dartmouth community through its overall invective tone and, especially, through its references to inflicting violence upon gay men and lesbians.

More articles »