Pelton on Bear Bones

To the Editor:

During the last few days, the College has received several complaints regarding a cartoon which appeared in the January 14th edition of The Dartmouth. The cartoon seeks to draw attention to stereotyping of Asian and Asian-Americans. The purpose of the cartoon, however, is not entirely clear, even to the careful reader. One is left wondering if its intent is to perpetuate a stereotype, critique a stereotype through the use of satire or respond to readers who thought earlier strips perpetuated stereotypes. According to a letter written on the editorial page of yesterday's issue of The Dartmouth, the author suggests that its purpose was to satirize, rather than endorse stereotyping.

Nevertheless, judging by some of the reactions of the Dartmouth student community, the cartoon was not wholly successful in realizing the author's stated purpose. Each reader is, of course, left to judge for him or herself whether or not the cartoon constitutes successful satire, if, indeed, that was its intent.

My personal reaction to the cartoon was honest confusion about its purpose. However, there is no confusion about the way in which the cartoon affected some members of our community. These reactions deserve our serious concern and consideration.

Undoubtedly, the cartoon reawakened in some students feelings associated with last year's verbal assault on three Asian-American undergraduates by another member of our community. While I believe that much good community discussion and understanding evolved from last year's incident, this cartoon has understandably compelled some, though not all, students to question the commitment of our community -- students, faculty and staff -- to the ideals of diversity.

When these types of events occur, it also calls into question the obligations and responsibilities that each of us has to our community. Thus, I would certainly hope that those who object to the cartoon and its message (even if unintended) would express their views to the cartoon's author by writing a letter to the editor of The Dartmouth.

The College, too, has an obligation continually to remind us of its support for a diverse, tolerant and caring community. Acts that demean and diminish another group's standing in the community through the use of offensive or seemingly racist caricatures is unacceptable. Often, however, this message is made more effective and powerful when it comes from more than a single source -- when it is not simply left to the College administration to respond -- but rather when all responsible and caring citizens express their support of those virtues and values that humanize and strengthen our community.

The President, I and others have routinely -- in this and other settings -- spoken out on behalf of ideals of justice and equality. In the Dartmouth community, diversity and excellence are conceived as one and the same. They go hand-in-hand with the College's efforts to provide for all of our students an educational environment that recognizes the importance of learning from others whose backgrounds, experiences, culture and skin color are different from one's own.

I am concerned when a group within our community -- in this case, Asian and Asian-American students -- feels as if it does not have an equal share in the fullness of the Dartmouth experience. All is not right.

I will be meeting over the next several days with student leaders from the Asian and Asian-American community to discuss ways in which the College might better support its standing in the community. I am certain that there are a number of issues which require our focus, our time and our best thoughts.