Jedidiah Sorokin-Altmann
The Setonian
Opinion

But what about speech?

To the Editor: Although I was pleased to read in Zeke Turner 09's op-ed, "Teaching the Art of Writing" (April 25) that the Writing Program is being overhauled with real and not merely cosmetic changes, I am distressed that one year has passed since professor Jim Kuypers left Dartmouth, and the Office of Speech remains shuttered.

The Setonian
Opinion

Cronyism Run Amok

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." So said President George Bush to FEMA Director Michael Brown, shortly before Brown resigned in disgrace due to his agency's poor response to Hurricane Katrina.

The Setonian
Opinion

Unfair Stereotyping

To the Editor: In Friday's "Verbum Ultimum," (The Dartmouth, November 19) The Dartmouth Editorial Board wrote of the inevitability of hazing in the Greek system, claiming that "some rules are meant to be broken" and that "hazing ... is an inevitable component of Greek life ..." As president of Phi Tau coeducational fraternity, I was horrified to read this perpetuation of some of the worst stereotypes about the Greek system, and even more disgusted that The Dartmouth staff apparently believes that it is impossible to separate the Greek system from hazing. Phi Tau's official creed is "Unitas in Diversitate" (Unity in Diversity), but we also have an unofficial motto as well.

The Setonian
Opinion

Filtering Would Be Foolish

To the Editor: Dan Kleinman of the Plan2Succeed Citizens Group advocates installing "constitutionally approved Internet filters" in a letter to the editor titled "Masturbation Redux" (The Dartmouth, Aug.

The Setonian
Opinion

Shameful Contempt

To the Editor: I was angered to read Paul Marino's April 11 diatribe "Berry Library," particularly by the bit where he treats Mr. Berry with the utmost contempt. John Berry gave $25 million to the College to build a better library, and we should be grateful.

More articles »