Hae-Lin Cho
The Setonian
News

Bronski, Amico '07 co-author book dispelling LGBT myths

With the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community increasingly in the media spotlight, addressing myths about the LGBT community is more necessary than ever, according to three scholarly, activist minds behind the recently published book “‘You Can Tell Just By Looking’ and 20 Other Myths About LGBT Life and People.” The book, co-authored by women’s and gender studies professor Michael Bronski, American studies graduate student at Yale University Michael Amico ’07 and New York University religious studies professor Ann Pellegrini explores 21 American misconceptions about the LGBT community, including dispelling misconceptions that sexual abuse causes homosexuality and that LGBT parents are bad for children. The misconceptions discussed in the book are the most “pernicious” of myths circulating in the media, Amico said. “Just because there’s more that’s being said about it doesn’t mean that it’s any smarter or more nuanced or even more accepting, actually, of an increasingly diverse way of being LGB or T,” he said.

The Setonian
News

Fleck and Washburn trace history of banjo playing

Amidst the harmonizing of banjo strings and singing voices, audience members of "Banjo Breakdown" nodded their heads, tapped their feet and swayed slightly to the plucking rhythm of American banjo players Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn.

10.10.13.news.hpo
News

Three arrested over weekend

Kelsey Kittelsen / The Dartmouth Homecoming weekend concluded with a total of three arrests, seven hospitalizations and two reported fights, Safety and Security director Harry Kinne said. Three people were arrested on Friday during the bonfire, with two apprehended on accounts of disorderly conduct for attempting to touch the bonfire, which Kinne called "extraordinarily dangerous." One underage student in possession of alcohol was arrested and charged with possession by consumption.

10.04.2013.Hanlonfreshmanyear
News

Hanlon looks forward to first Homecoming back on campus

When the Class of 2017 runs around the bonfire on Dartmouth Night to celebrate their inauguration into the community, College President Phil Hanlon will be experiencing a homecoming of his own, his first since graduating in 1977. "Boy, it's been so long," Hanlon said. "I don't even know the whole set ...

More articles »