Cynthia-Marie O'Brien
The Setonian
News

Thin ice keeps Occom closed; Polar Bears unfettered

Balmy weather and snow has kept skaters off Occom Pond for all but three days this season, but there may be relief in site for winter sports enthusiasts. While Grounds Manager Robert Thebodo hopes to open the pond as soon as possible, an "overwhelming concern for safety" is the reason why the pond remains closed. A cold spell this weekend may help -- daytime temperatures below 20 degrees are best for maintaining the skating surface -- but warm and rainy weather in the meantime is likely to hinder pond maintenance. A lack of sufficient ice and the need to use equipment elsewhere around campus to clear paths after heavy snowfalls have delayed the opening of the pond. The pond traditionally opens for skating between Christmas week and mid-January, although the pond has been open as early as Thanksgiving in previous years. Although crews have begun working to prepare the pond, "we did not have enough ice recently to put small equipment out there," Thebodo said. "In the last few days, we've taken measures to flood the pond so the snow wouldn't be as much of a problem, and we swept and blew snow off," he said. The equipment used to clear the pond has frequently been needed this term for snow removal in other areas around campus, such as highly trafficked sidewalks. Occom Pond is maintained by L&M Service Contractors, an outside contractor. Thebodo uses the American Pulpwood Association's scale to determine safe ice thickness.

The Setonian
News

ORL lets Chi Heorot off probation early

Contingent upon a review of final changes to Chi Heorot fraternity's constitution and new member program that will be turned in to the Office of Residential Life today, the fraternity will be removed from probation ahead of schedule next week. The organization's probationary period was initially supposed to last through the end of Winter term. Explaining why probation will possibly be removed early, Assistant Director of Residential Life Cassie Barnhardt said that once an organization has met the requirements, "Why keep it under adjudication?" While Heorot will not officially be removed from probation until Barnhardt has reviewed their documents, she said, "I have zero concern about them doing those things [necessary to be removed from probation]." "They need to make sure that everything goes well with their social event this weekend," she added. The fraternity was originally put on three terms of social probation last spring for failing to meet minimum standards.

The Setonian
News

College: early decision will stay

(Editor's note: After a decade in which high school students across the country have increasingly turned to early decision when applying to college, national controversy has erupted over the benefits of binding November applications.

The Setonian
News

State Democrats discuss future action

A resolve to continue to discuss and debate the direction of policy decisions amidst a new atmosphere of unity and bipartisanship in Washington emerged from the annual gathering of the Upper Valley Democrats and Hanover Democratic Committee in the Campion Barn in Etna Friday night.

The Setonian
News

Redman details Tuck site plans

Before the ground freezes next winter, Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman hopes "visible signs [of progress] such as a hole in the ground" will be made on the construction of the new Tuck Mall dormitory. Though the dorm isn't slated to open until the 2003-2004 academic year, a newly formed committee will help design what will be the College's newest -- and perhaps fanciest -- dormitory. The committee, which will consist of Redman, ORL staff and approximately 12 students, is expected to meet through the end of Fall term to advise architects. Redman said the project is still too new for him to say whether it will resemble McCulloch, which was designed by the same architectural firm, Atkin, Lawson, Olson-Bell, that is overseeing the Tuck dorm construction. Blueprints do not yet exist for the building and once they are proposed, the committee will provide feedback on the floor plans, Redman said. Redman described student input into the design of the dorm's interior as "very important." Students will contribute ideas regarding bathroom arrangements, the placement of lounges, carpet, lighting and how the building will look, but will play a significantly lesser role in the exterior design of the building.

The Setonian
News

Poet, activist to be spring fellow

Ali Ahmad Sai'd, a critically acclaimed poet and political activist whose work has been at the forefront of the Arab artistic world since the 1960s, will be coming to the College this spring as a Montgomery Fellow.

More articles »