ORL lets Chi Heorot off probation early

Contingent upon a review of final changes to Chi Heorot fraternity's constitution and new member program that will be turned in to the Office of Residential Life today, the fraternity will be removed from probation ahead of schedule next week.

The organization's probationary period was initially supposed to last through the end of Winter term.

Explaining why probation will possibly be removed early, Assistant Director of Residential Life Cassie Barnhardt said that once an organization has met the requirements, "Why keep it under adjudication?"

While Heorot will not officially be removed from probation until Barnhardt has reviewed their documents, she said, "I have zero concern about them doing those things [necessary to be removed from probation]."

"They need to make sure that everything goes well with their social event this weekend," she added.

The fraternity was originally put on three terms of social probation last spring for failing to meet minimum standards. Barnhardt explained that Heorot has been responsive during the process, and "a lot of the changes they've made have been very sincere."

During probation, the fraternity was allowed "limited social functions" and worked to "redo internal documents that were outdated," Chi Heorot President John Campbell '03 said.

Campbell, who served as acting president during Summer term, attributed the fraternity's success in getting off probation to serious efforts by "guys who graduated in 2001" as well as the current '02 and '03 members.

Over the summer, "the '02s set the groundwork" by making a priority list of what needed to be done, he said.

"From day one [of probation] we were forced to get really serious and organized," Campbell said, in part because the organization's documents were so old.

Campbell said Barnhardt was "instrumental" in working with the fraternity.

Heorot worked closely with the administration members, meeting with them once a week over the summer, to demonstrate commitment to "bringing things up to speed for the new period of Dartmouth fraternities," Campbell said.

Citing this summer as "a big growth period" for the fraternity system, Campbell said he felt the administration had done "a really good job of being upfront every step of the way" towards resolving Heorot's probation.