Chung-Mei Lee
The Setonian
News

House budget cuts student loans: $10 billion reduction threatens College scholarship funding

In an effort to lower federal spending, the U.S. House of Representatives recently passed a budget resolution cutting $10 billion over seven years from the student loan program, threatening the in-school interest exemption of many students. Democrats are in favor of in-school interest exemptions while some Republican members argue the interest subsidy is an unnecessary program in which people without college degrees have to pay taxes to support people who do have degrees, said Kevin Boyer, executive director of the National Association of Graduate Professional Students. "This is an issue that will seriously affect the lives of students, and we strongly encourage the students to write to their senators and congressmen to oppose the cut," Director of Financial Aid Virginia Hazen said. The Financial Aid Office has been active in getting the students to write to their representatives to protest the proposed cuts.

The Setonian
News

Exchange students marvel at summer atmosphere

Exchange students at Dartmouth this summer say they cannot believe Dartmouth's laid-back atmosphere. "As a summer retreat, Hanover is excellent," said Michael Brett, an exchange student from University College London. "It's hard to study when there are so many ways to waste time," he explained.

The Setonian
News

College samples new recycling bins

This summer Dartmouth Recycles!, the College's programto promote recycling, could soon place 12 new recycling bins in the hallways of Mass Row at a cost of about $5,000. The move could get the College's recycling agenda back on track for the first time in two years by taking bins out of dormitory basements and placing them closer to students' doors, Director of Dartmouth Recycles!

The Setonian
News

Professor Bill Cook returns from Russia

English Department Chair Bill Cook recently returned from a three-week trip to Russia where he attended a series of seminars on teaching English literature around the world. The well-liked English professor said he was struck by the growing popularity of English as a major and minor in Eastern European countries because of increasing contact with Western countries. "I found a lot of people speaking English or wanting to learn how," Cook said."In some cases, children begin learning English as early as third grade." For three weeks, Cook was one of several professors from around the world who met in Moscow, Novgorod, Tver and St.

More articles »