Professor Bill Cook returns from Russia

English Department Chair Bill Cook recently returned from a three-week trip to Russia where he attended a series of seminars on teaching English literature around the world.

The well-liked English professor said he was struck by the growing popularity of English as a major and minor in Eastern European countries because of increasing contact with Western countries.

"I found a lot of people speaking English or wanting to learn how," Cook said."In some cases, children begin learning English as early as third grade."

For three weeks, Cook was one of several professors from around the world who met in Moscow, Novgorod, Tver and St. Petersburg to discuss teaching methods and issues surrounding teaching English literature in their own countries.

The methods used to teach English literature in other countries are more formal, Cook said. "There is less emphasis on literature there," he said.

The professors also discussed the lack of funding for English programs at some of the universities.

This lack of funding leads to lower salaries for professors who hold doctorates, Cook said. Professorships arelow-paying, low prestige jobs in many countries other than the United States, he said.

This shortage also means many professors cannot afford the English books needed for teaching, Cook said.

Cook, who just finished a term as an officer of the council of professors meeting for the seminar, said he has been mailing texts to some professors to make up for the lack of supplies.

Of the four cities that hosted the seminars, Cook said he preferred St. Petersburg.

St. Petersburg "was more cultural than the other cities -- the buildings, the theaters, everything," he said. "Unfortunately it rained every single day I was there."

The other cities were on an average about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than Hanover in the summer.

"The people there are more friendly and relaxed," Cook said. "As a tourist, though, I have to distrust my own impressions."