Ann Mary Mathew
The Setonian
News

WTC design by Arad '91 reworked

Once the celebrated winner of the World Trade Center memorial design competition, Michael Arad '91 has been relegated to the sidelines by city, state and developmental interests, as his design is being altered into something far removed from his original vision.The biggest change to Arad's design is the proposed addition of a forest of trees to the memorial, an addition that would contradict Arad's conception of the memorial, Dartmouth architecture professor Karolina Kawiaka said. Other changes include moving Arad's reflecting pools so that they are centered on the footprints of the Twin Towers and removing two of the four ramps entering the site. "When I talked to [the landscaper architect] he thought the design was a little sparse," said Arad, commenting on the decision to add the trees to the memorial. Immediately after Arad won the contest, the organizers paired him with a landscape architect and assigned him to work with two architecture firms, Peter Walker & Partners and Davis Brody Bond.

The Setonian
Arts

SHEBA celebrates 10 years on Sunday

SHEBA's 10th anniversary show this Sunday night at 8 p.m. promises to be huge, according to several of the dance troupe's members. "It will be something that this College has never seen before," said SHEBA co-director Kimberly Marable '05.

The Setonian
News

Magazine leaves College off list of black-friendly schools

Dartmouth's efforts to promote diversity are notorious, but Black Enterprise Magazine left the College out of its ranking of the 50 best schools for black students while including comparable schools, such as Williams and Amherst colleges and all other Ivies except Princeton University. The rankings were based on a survey of 1,855 black higher education administrators.

The Setonian
News

For 100th birthday, College Seussifies

The remnants of a 35-foot Cat in the Hat snow sculpture may have melted into a heap on the Green, but Dartmouth wants to make sure that Dr. Seuss' 100th birthday celebration continues in a most delightful and splendiferous style. The College's year-long "Seussentennial," designed to honor beloved alumnus and whimsical children's book author Theodor Seuss Geisel '25, will peak Tuesday, with Seuss-themed events occurring all over campus. Dartmouth Dining Services will be offering a "Seussified menu," and employees will serve food dressed as various Seuss characters.

More articles »