20 Turning 20: The Playlist Phi Delts Didn’t Know They Needed
Most rules exist for a reason, but there are the golden few that make absolutely no sense. Many frats adhere to strict policies that students don’t understand, and Phi Delt’s mission to only broadcast music that’s more than 20 years old is no exception. It’s assumed that past brothers of Phi Delt don’t exactly want to hear “Beez in the Trap” when they come back to campus on a nostalgic wave, thus alums have enforced this rigid code. Since I live in the Choates, listening to whatever they choose to play outside during the warmer months is something that I am subjected to against my will. Don’t get me wrong, “You Make My Dreams” is a huge bop and anyone who doesn’t have an internal dance party is lying to you.
Courtesy of YouTube
However, if we all must listen to whatever young frat star has the aux, we might as well give them some recommendations. Here are songs that are turning 20 in 2017, some of which are total bangers and others are undiscovered gems.
1. “I’ll be Missing You” - Puff Daddy and Faith Evans
I mean c’mon, who can say no to ‘90s Puff Daddy?
2. “Barbie Girl” - Aqua
Only the theme song of every middle school child’s hopes and dreams. It would be an insult to your past self not to blast this at Phi Delt AND on Baker Tower’s bells.
3. “Mo Money Mo Problems” - The Notorious B.I.G.
The perfect song for that feeling you get when you switch your meal plan and have more DBA than last term.
4. “Something About the Way You Look Tonight” - Elton John
I think the word you’re looking for is sleep deprived.
5. “Semi-Charmed Life” – Third Eye Blind
I have five words for you: long live the angsty teen.
6. “Spice Up Your Life” - Spice Girls
When you hit up The Hop instead of Foco.
7. “You Make me Wanna” - Usher
Rip my hair out? That’s right 16F, I know where my @ button is and I know how to use it.
8. “Hypnotize”- The Notorious B.I.G.
Um, if you don’t know the opening lines to this one, I would reconsider your priorities.
9. “My Heart Will Go On” - Celine Dion.
The official song of Foco cookies everywhere.
10. “Getting’ Jiggy Wit It” - Will Smith
Will Smith makes music?
11. “Backstreet’s Back” - The Backstreet Boys
People will actually bust out a choreographed number they didn’t know they knew in the streets if you play this in public.
12. “Whenever You Call” - Mariah Carey
The perfect jam for when your Domino’s delivery arrives.
13. “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” - Shania Twain
AKA everyone’s guilty pleasure jam.
14. “If You Wanna Touch Her, Ask!” - Shania Twain
Well, that one’s a no brainer.
15. The Whole Wu Tang Forever album
They DID say forever, so we still gotta play it.
16. "Rhiannon" - Fleetwood Mac
Gotta throw in some classics for the hipsters.
17. “Dream” - Fleetwood Mac
Second consecutive Fleetwood Mac song listed because people need to expand their musical education beyond just “Landslide.”
18. “Honey” - Mariah Carey
Only the truest of ‘90s vibez. *Feeds Tamagotchi*
19. “Miles to Go (Before I Sleep)” - Celine Dion
Does this really need an explanation @17W?
20. The Supa Dupa Fly album- Missy Elliott
Because inside every person is a tiny Missy Elliott. Does this make sense? No. Should you still add it to the playlist? Absolutely.
Even though we have a long way to go until we reach 20 years from 2008, I have faith that the Phi Delt playlist will continue to be more and more lit. Hopefully by the time we’re all alums, the newest brothers will have enough common sense to play “Bad and Boujee” out of respect for us all.