Chews Wisely: Rush Week Pizza Spectacular

By Sam Forstner | 10/5/15 6:46am

As a member of the ’18 class, this past week or so has been eventful. Even for those with no connection to the Greek system, there was undoubtedly a shift in the campus climate — groups of men and women dressed up and running the convoluted gauntlet of rush.

Below, I will assess them in order of my chronological consumption:

EBA's

My review of Everything But Anchovies comes with a distinct advantage. Instead of evaluating an individual meal, I can instead judge the overall body of work to which I’ve been exposed over the past year. Despite what those who associate EBAs purely with late-night cravings will say, it is actually not bad pizza. Greasy? Yes. Unremarkable? Perhaps. But not bad. Try it sometime during the day, or really broaden your horizons and dine in.

Side note: If you’re indecisive about what to order — half barbecue chicken, half buffalo chicken is always the move.

Ramunto’s

Ramunto’s seems to be generally perceived to be the gold standard of Hanover pizza. The light tasty crust, quality ingredients and the dine-in pizza-by-the slice option make it a strong contender. I decided, however, to crunch some numbers to investigate whether Ramunto’s is really all it’s cracked up to be from a quantitative perspective. I chose a large, one-topping pizza as my baseline for the study. One from Ramunto’s costs $15.54, compared to $12.48 at EBA’s and $11.95 at C & As, a markup of 25% and 30%, respectively (a little food math right there, how bout them apples?). Due to its relative expensiveness, I expect Ramunto’s to really wow me — a threshold of which it falls just short.

C&A's

Having been served pizza from the other two restaurants already, I did the logical thing and ordered a second dinner from the third. This was my first experience with C & A’s, and before I dive in, I want to give the disclaimer that the opinion I’m about to reveal may be greeted with disbelief, or even anger. But to that, I say, what’s writing a food column for the online branch of a college newspaper if not edgy? The C & As apecial that I ordered was absolutely delicious. It’s a thicker pizza than either of the other options—heartier, more flavorful and just overall a better gustatory experience. EBA’s still holds a special place in my heart, but C & As has stolen the affection of my taste buds. And yes, I’m aware of how creepy that sentence just was.

Sam Forstner