FoCo Joe: F.I.N.A.L.S Treat

By Joseph Kind, The Dartmouth Staff | 3/10/15 2:42pm

Sadly, the time has come for me to post my last column of the term. It’s been a good one, friends, and I hope you have enjoyed the journey as much as I have. That said, I have some more bad news to share. My fast approaching absence from campus this spring term can only mean one thing— it will be a while before I am able to make another FoCo creation. I know this will likely leave you, my dear readers, floundering in a sea of emotions. So allow me to try and explain. My time on the swim team has shaped my D-Plan, and as a result, the spring terms are my only opportunities to get away from Hanover. Last spring, however, I was fortunate enough to study abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina. So that means this spring is my only shot at a real off-term. I honestly wish I had more seriously considered taking a Hanover FSP, not only so that I could have continued to celebrate the heavenly oasis that is FoCo but also so that I could have continued to share my stories and spend quality time with you all each week. Sadly, it was not to be. For once, I will truly be sorry to be off campus.

F---
I
Never
Actually
Learned
S---

Pondering this acronym got me thinking. What if I made a dessert using things to spell out the acryonym? OMG. I knew I had stumbled upon greatness. Plus, it turns out it wasn’t a very difficult task after all. Here’s what I did:

Fudge
Ice cream
Nutella
Apple
Lucky Charms
Syrup

If you aren’t already impressed by this display —it’s called an acrostic, btw – then check out how I made this dessert below:

Step 1: Pour some fudge syrup (chocolate syrup for those of you who like to keep things technical) into the bottom of a clean FoCo bowl.

Step 2: Place a scoop of ice cream on top of the fudge. There’s a chance the ice cream will melt a bit as you complete the remaining steps. This isn’t a problem — at least for me — because the ice cream melting a bit in the bowl over the fudge will just mix better with the Lucky Charms. If this is a serious concern for you, though, leave this step for last.

Step 3: Spread Nutella onto the side of your bowl. You’ll see why in a minute.

Step 4: Grab an apple from the fruits station and cut into slices. I was fortunate enough to have a sous chef with me today, Dorian Allen ’17, who was kind enough to demonstrate how best to slice an apple for this dessert:

Step 5: If you are as fortunate as me, you can have your sous chef cut your apple as you add a half a shovel’s worth of Lucky Charms cereal, saving preparation time. A note: it’s probably not worth going out of your way to add extra marshmallows, nor is it worth it removing all the marshmallows from the cereal entirely. If you do choose to do the latter, please do not add your discarded marshmallows back into the cereal. I am not a self-identified germophobe but this still deeply concerns me.

Step 6: Have you figured it out yet? Yes, dear readers, each of the steps mirrors the appropriate character in the acrostic, which brings us to our grand finale: S. Syrup, sauce, Sugarplum, Sheba —whatever you want to add here, go ahead! Here’s a particularly fun way to enjoy this dessert: take an apple slice, perched sideways in the bowl over the Nutella, and then swipe left to acquire Nutella without ever using a knife (Note: if you know how to use Tinder or Fruit Ninja, you’ll know what I mean). Then, once the apple is spread with Nutella, take a spoonful of the ice cream-fudge-Lucky Charms-syrup mix and place it onto the apple for one strange, wonderful bite. This dessert is best consumed with others, including your sous chef, who will thank you for sharing.

Best of luck with finals, everyone!! They will be over before you know it. Until next time.

Joseph Kind, The Dartmouth Staff