Around the Ivies

By Irene Cofie | 1/15/15 8:46am

Brown University: Beginning on April 1, Cass Cliatt will replace Marissa Quinn as the new Brown University vice president for communications, according to the Brown Daily Herald. During the interim between Quinn’s departure on Jan. 1 and Cliatt’s arrival from Franklin and Marshall College, directors from public affairs and university affairs will manage the work usually assigned to the office of communications.

Columbia University: In early December of last year, police confronted hundreds of protesters in New York City’s Morningside Heights neighborhood, the Columbia Spectator reported. According to the Spectator, the protesters were responding to a Staten Island grand jury’s decision in the case of Eric Garner. Columbia students participated in marches around the city.

Cornell University: In late December of last year, a grand jury indicted 32-year-old Benjamin Cayea for the murder of a Cornell student, the Cornell Sun reported. Cayea was indicted for one count of second-degree murder after Shannon Jones ’15 was found dead on Thanksgiving Day. Cayea confessed to law enforcement officers that he committed the murder.

Harvard University: Currier House, a residential house at Harvard University, has welcomed Robert C. Meisner as its new acting dean, the Harvard Crimson reports. Meisner, a clinical fellow in psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, replaces former dean Laura K. Johnson.

Princeton University: Audrey Dantzlerward ’16, a 22-year old Princeton undergraduate and english major, was found dead in her residence on the morning of January 12, the Daily Princetonian reports. Later that evening, students, faculty and staff gathered in the University’s Murray-Dodge Hall in remembrance of Dantzlerward’s life, according to the Princetonian.

University of Pennsylvania: Last week, the Office of Student Conduct at the University of Pennsylvania released missing disciplinary reports from the period between 2009 and 2014, the Daily Pennsylvanian reports. The Daily Pennsylvanian had both reported on and authored an editorial about the missing reports.

Yale University: According the Yale Daily News, a man accused of the 2010 homicide of a postgraduate fellow at the University has requested Yale release the victim’s records, including disciplinary and human resources records. The University has asked the New Haven Superior Court to reject the motion.

Irene Cofie