Around the Ivies

By Fiona Ewing, The Dartmouth Staff | 4/3/14 9:00am

Brown University: Brown offered admission to 8.6 percent of the 30,432 applicants to the Class of 2018, the lowest acceptance rate in the university’s history, the Brown Daily Herald reported. A record-high 18 percent of admits are first-generation college students, and a record-high 46 percent identify as students of color.

Columbia University: Columbia’s Lerner, McBain and John Jay Halls will see the addition of single-use and gender-inclusive bathrooms, the Columbia Spectator reported. The renovations follow the University Senate’s recent quality-of-life survey, which found that students who did not identify as male or female reported that they were less satisfied with their Columbia experience than those who identified as male or female.

Cornell University: Cornell will no longer offer equitation classes as part of its physical education program, the Cornell Daily Sun reported. Athletics and Physical Education director Andy Noel said that the Oxley Equestrian Center lacks space for safe accommodations and that funding to expand the center is currently unavailable.

Harvard University: Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences Dean Michael Smith announced at a faculty meeting on Tuesday that three students were expelled on charges of physical violence in February, the Harvard Crimson reported. Two of the students also violated rules related to drugs and alcohol, firearms and use of university resources.

Princeton University: A Princeton sophomore filed a lawsuit against the university and seven administrators on March 25, according to the Daily Princetonian. The student previously alleged that he was forced to withdraw following a suicide attempt, and is suing for disability discrimination in federal court. He had been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and Type II Bipolar Disorder.

University of Pennsylvania: Student-run mental health and wellness advocacy coalition Green Ribbon Campaign held its first rally on Monday afternoon, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported. The group is advocating that more resources be allocated to counseling and psychological services and for peer-to-peer training.

Yale University: Tuesday afternoon, nearly a dozen students gathered to protest Yale’s endowment investments in fossil fuel companies, according to the Yale Daily News. Students laid out a tarp with the words “Yale Students Demand Divestment” in front of Woodbridge Hall, the university’s main administrative building. Students poured black liquid over stuffed animals and tossed fake money on the ground. Some dressed in white overalls or business suits to represent Yale Corporation members.

Fiona Ewing, The Dartmouth Staff