14 Events of 14S

By Katie McConnell, The Dartmouth Staff | 4/2/14 4:00am

1) Ice Cream Fore-U Opening Day

So I may have missed this one (it opened this past weekend), but now that every Dartmouth student’s favorite ice cream stand is open again you can make the trek to West Leb and pretend that it is summer. Maybe throw in a game of mini golf for good measure?

2) Sundress Day

Even though the registrar says it’s “spring,” this mythical day has yet to arrive — there are huge puddles all over campus and a winter coat is still required. While this event has no official date, you will know that it has arrived when it is finally sunny and warm. Campus consensus will be to break out that dress that’s been hiding in your closet all winter. But judging by the current state of the Green, you might need to pair your look with rain boots to brave all that mud.

3) Wes Anderson Film Series

The Dartmouth Film Society’s focus this term is “The Life Cinematic with Wes Anderson,” and will feature eight of his films. The series kicked off last Sunday with Bottle Rocket and will culminate with The Grand Budapest Hotel, his most recent film. Perfect for those days when you want to satisfy an urge for hipster films.

4) Derby

This event requires an invite, and only a limited number of KDEs and their friends are able to attend. Everyone dresses in preppy pastels and wears ridiculously huge hats — an imitation of attire from the Kentucky Derby, which also happens that first weekend of May. Coincidentally, it also corresponds with First-Year Family Weekend, so few freshmen experience this event or the next two (unless they ditch or bring along their parents!).

5) Pigstick

Don’t worry if you didn’t snag that Derby invite — AXA’s got you covered, with a live band, a pig roast and food and cider aplenty. Usually there’s also lots of dancing and a beach volleyball game or two. Pigstick’s another excuse to enjoy the sunny afternoons and start partying earlier than usual in preparation for Green Key.

6) Anti-Derby

If you are more into getting down and dirty, check out how BG’s backyard is turned into a rough and tumble mud pit racetrack every first weekend of May. Once the brothers are suitably muddy, they run across Webster Avenue to try to storm Derby and Pigstick. Beware of the sharp rocks on the hillside — you might leave with more battle scars than intended, and remember that anywhere you shower is probably going to be destroyed.

7) Block Party

On the Friday afternoon of Green Key, Phi Delt hosts Block Party and shuts down Webster Avenue. A live band plays, and everyone hurries over as soon as 2s end. Students can be found mingling on the lawn and road as security officials circle the party.

8) Lawn Party

AD’s outdoor Green Key party is on Saturday afternoon, and at this point people are running low on energy but make sure to rally. People lounge on the hill and dance on the house’s lawn, porch and balcony.

9) Chainsmokers Concert

This year, GDX is hosting The Chainsmokers on Green Key Saturday. The DJ duo is best known for their club hit “#SELFIE.” I can’t believe that this song actually exists (well actually, I’m not really that surprised…), but it provides the perfect meta-selfie opportunity – a selfie of people taking selfies to #SELFIE. If you didn’t take one, did you even Green Key?

10) Gammapalooza

Chi Gam hosts a concert that usually spills out from its first floor onto the lawn. Why try and cram everyone into a basement dance party? One year, couches left outside were so destroyed that the fraternity’s front lawn was found covered in stuffing the next day.

11) Green Key Programming Board Concert

While the artist still remains a mystery, the outdoor concert is usually held on Gold Coast Lawn. Townies are fond of crashing, and those living on Tuck Drive won’t even have to leave their dorms to hear the music.

12) Performance Groups’ Senior Shows

Many a cappella groups, dance groups and other performance groups will have a spring show showcasing their seniors. It’s a great way to celebrate and say goodbye to the graduating ’14s. Don’t be surprised if tears make an appearance.

13) The Return of the Farmer’s Market

The Hanover Farmer’s Market is back on June 4, the day after finals end. If you stick around, you can enjoy kettle corn, live music and free samples galore on the Green. A permanent fixture of sophomore summer Wednesdays, the event continues through mid-October.

14) Senior Week/Commencement

I still have a year until this week becomes all too real. For the seniors, it’s the last hurrah before their time at Dartmouth comes to an end. Make it count!

Katie McConnell, The Dartmouth Staff