The People You Find in Different Parts of the Library

By Samantha Webster, The Dartmouth Staff | 2/21/14 5:00am

In my three years of studying (and procrastinating) at Dartmouth, I’ve learned that where you study in the library has a lot to do with the task at hand. Depending on whether you’re banging out a midterm paper or casually putting your syllabus dates into your calendar has a huge influence on where you’ll be sitting. Most students at Dartmouth vary their study spots and you’ll quickly learn that each area of the library has its own distinct personality.

KAF

The go-to spot for those with caffeine addictions and a lot of time on their hands. Also good for people with work that only needs about half the normal amount of concentration, so that the other half can be devoted to calling your friends over from the never-ending line and catching up on gossip.

FFB

FFB gets a bad rep. Once, while working on a lab report there (for real, Chem 6 is no joke), a tour guide walked by and said to her group of prospies that this is where you’ll mostly see people checking Facebook and Gmail and pretending to do work. So while at the time I was all “give me a break, does this titration look like Gmail to you?!” I have to admit that the general atmosphere of FFB is one of louder-than-whispered conversations and friends trying to get some work done.

3FB

For people who actually need to get work done but aren’t willing to completely sacrifice Facetime, 3FB is the perfect place to study. From couch tables to cubbies, it’s full of variety, and the bright lights are enough for everyone who’s trying to see and be seen — while finishing readings.

Novack

If you’re studying in Novack, you are either working on a group project or collaborating on a problem set or getting a bag full of Sour Patch Kids/chocolate-covered almonds/Swedish Fish or trolling your friends that are doing any of the above.

Stacks

These are your thesis-writers, night-before-it’s-due paper writers and anyone who digs the isolation of a grayscale maze of books.

The Annexes

Basically just a more isolated version of the stacks. Enough said.

Baker

Do people even do work there? Snag one of the elusive wooden tables, and there’s a shot you’ll be working through that pile of research between chats with every friend who walks into the library. Those comfy couches are also a recipe for disaster, so don’t count on doing anything more than napping or checking Facebook.

Tower Room

People who feel like studying in a room full of old books, probably because it makes them feel distinguished. If you have serious reading to do and feel inspired by the sense that decades of alumni that have also studied in the same spot, this is the place for you.

1902

The word most commonly associated with 1902 is almost certainly “grim,” most likely due to 1902 being one of two study spaces open 24/7 in the library. It is always occupied at witching hour by at least one sad soul working on a dreaded paper or trying to study for an intimidating exam. Why else would you possibly choose to study there?

Samantha Webster, The Dartmouth Staff