A Recap of Dartmouth’s Performance in the Sochi Olympics

By Fiona Ewing, The Dartmouth Staff | 2/26/14 6:00am

Eight Dartmouth graduates and three current students competed in the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, with three making it to the podium as medal winners. Hannah Kearney ’15 won the bronze medal in freestyle moguls skiing, the event she took first in at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

In the alpine skiing super-G event, Andrew Weibrecht ’09 won the silver medal, after winning the bronze in the event in Vancouver. Ice hockey player Gillian Apps ’06 won her third gold medal with Team Canada, building upon her success with the team in the Turin and Vancouver Olympics.

The biathlon team of Hannah Dreissigacker ’09, Susan Dunklee ’08, Sara Studebaker ’07 and Annelies Cook made Olympic history in the 4x6-kilometer relay event. The team finished in seventh place, earning the best-ever U.S. Olympic women’s biathlon relay performance. Furthermore, Dunklee’s 14th- place finish in the 7.5-kilometer sprint was the best-ever Olympic sprint performance by an American female biathlete.

Cross-country skiers Sophie Caldwell ’12, Tucker Murphy ’04 and Ida Sargent ’11 also competed in the games. Caldwell’s sixth-place finish in the freestyle sprint event was the best-ever performance by an American female cross country skier, while Murphy was the sole representative of Bermuda at the Games.

Mikaela Shiffrin, 18-year-old daughter of Jeff Shiffrin ’76, won gold in the women’s slalom event, becoming the youngest slalom gold medalist in Olympic history.

Fiona Ewing, The Dartmouth Staff