7 Reasons Why the Winter Olympics Are Better Than the Summer Olympics

By Samantha Webster | 2/12/14 6:00am

Once upon a time in ancient Greece, citizens competed in running, boxing and javelin-throwing events to demonstrate their devotion to Zeus. Some would say that we’ve come a long way since then, with our electronic stopwatches and 24/7 television coverage of the Olympic Games. I would argue, however, that the biggest win in the evolution of the Olympics is that we’ve come up with a completely better version of them — the Winter Olympics.

Every four years we are blessed with the chance to watch the seemingly fearless athletes of the world fly through the air strapped to a piece of wood or shoot down an icy slide at terrifying speeds.

Notwithstanding the fact that Sochi seems to be piping polluted water through their faucets (among a slew of other issues), the Winter Olympics is a badass combination of guts, glory and snow.

Here’s why:

1. Freestyle skiing

Check it out

Which brings me to…

1. The U.S. ski team

Not only are they incredibly talented, they are pretty easy on the eyes. No seriously, look at them.

1. And on a similar note, our snowboarders are looking pretty sweet.

There’s even a Buzzfeed post called “23 Reasons Why Greg Bretz Should Be Your Valentine This Year.” Good luck ladies.

1. Hockey

1. Sochi puns

running rampant on Twitter
What I learned from the Olympics: In sports, you get out what you Putin. #Olympics2014 #puns

— Darius J. Nolan (@da_nolan) February 11, 2014

1. The U.S. team sweaters

I’m not sure if this was an intentional joke or not, but these uniforms are hilariously amazing. You can’t deny that this would be the ultimate flair for tacky sweater tails.

1. Sochi’s Olympic program also won with the Russian Police Choir performing Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky” at the Opening Ceremony:

Even if you can’t get behind this rendition, you have to at least give them an A for effort (and for their outfits).

Samantha Webster