What did you do this break?

By Elizabeth Morse, Guest Writer | 1/7/14 9:00am

'What did you do this break?'is a week-long feature covering students' experiences and adventures over our extra-long 6-week winter break.

This winter break, numerous members of our Jewish community headed off to Israel for birthright. Chabad at Dartmouth had an all-Dartmouth trip and Dartmouth College Hillel had a program with Union College Hillel. Here is one groups (very unusual) experience on the trip.

The 10-day long trip started in Tel Aviv and then went up north to Tiberias, Safat and the Golan Heights. We then spent a night in the desert in a Bedouin tent, climbed Masada and went to the Dead Sea, finally ending in Jerusalem.

It was a very unusual birthright experience as a snowstorm hit Jerusalem and there were two feet of snow. The entire city shut down for a few days and there were bulldozers clearing the streets.

My favorite experience would definitely be the night we spent in the Bedouin tent. It was so special when we walked out into the desert once it was dark and got to see all the stars and be amongst sand dunes with nothing else around us. The next morning we woke up and went on a camel ride in the desert, and that same day we climbed Masada and floated in the Dead Sea.

Elizabeth Morse, Guest Writer