Recruiting Case Interviews: Dartmouth Edition

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 1/24/14 7:00am

Recruiting season has finally arrived! For the dozens of you who will spend the next two weeks in panic mode trying to secure a summer job, we created a few practice case interviews to test your reasoning skills.

1. How many hookups will you make eye contact with while waiting in line for mozzarella sticks at Late Night Collis?

Things to consider: What time of night is it? Has sorority rush happened within the last three weeks? Are you less than three weeks from the end of the term? What are you currently wearing?

For this case, let’s assume that you came to Dartmouth single and have not entered any long-lasting monogamous relationships since then. Next, let’s assume that you run into at least one previous hookup on every LNC visit simply because the universe is constantly working against each and every one of us.

1. If you are at Late Night Collis between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m., add one to this number. These are the busiest hours, as every student is stocking up on supplies to make the trek to AD, or has just recently left Psi U and needs to unwind before finally heading home.
  2. Given that sororities have extended bids to new sisters within the previous three weeks, add two hookups to the total you have spotted while at LNC. With the newly expanded sisterhood, there will be dozens of girls in flair spilling into Collis in their brightest tutus and sparkliest butterfly wings.
  3. Similarly, add two hookups if you are within the last three weeks of term – we have now entered formal season. The late night trip to get food after a night of drinking in your nicest clothing is essential, and it is impossible to consider that you will escape without seeing someone you once kissed softly by the Carnival sculpture.
  4. If you are wearing pajama pants, a stained sweat suit or the same clothing you have worn for the last four days, add six to the number of spotted hookups. It is a commonly accepted truth that the worse you look, the more exes you will see. There is nothing that can be done about this and we must move on.
  5. Finally, subtract one number from this final tally as it is likely you have developed some skill at avoiding all eye contact whenever possible. Congratulations because this could have been super embarrassing.

-- Luke McCann, The Dartmouth Staff

2. How many screenshots of the iPhone weather app will you see in your newsfeed today?

Things to consider:How manyFacebook friends do you have? How many of these friends go to Dartmouth?How cold is it today? What day of the week is it?

For this case, let's assume that one in every 100 of your Dartmouth friends is annoying enough to post a weather app screenshot for something we all already know — we essentially live in the tundra of New Hampshire. (This is a generous figure . . . betches love weather app screenshots.)

1. Take your total number of Facebook friends.
  2. Multiply it by the percentage of them that attend Dartmouth.
  3. Divide this number by 100.

If yes, multiply your figure by 1.5.

Is it Sunday night?

Ifyes, multiply your figure by 1.25; people are procrastinating hard.

-- Samantha Webster

3. How many people will be in front of you in the KAF line today?

Things to consider: What time of day is it? What day of the week is it? What part of the term is it?

First, let’s assume that there will always be at least two people there before you. If KAF is open it is very rare to find it empty.

1. If it is 20 to zero minutes before a class begins or after one ends, add 10 people.
  2. Is it Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday after 11:15 a.m.? If yes, add four people who are in need of their brie and apple fix. Now that it’s only offered mid-week, the sandwich’s allure has increased exponentially – plus it’s the only remaining sandwich.
  3. Is it morning time? Add six people who desperately need caffeine and might be starting to show symptoms of withdrawal.
  4. Is it midterms or finals period? There might not be longer lines then, especially if it’s reading period (when no one has classes), but the place will be packed and you will definitely not be able to find a seat.
  5. Are you in a hurry? Then there will always be too many people in front of you.

-- Katie McConnell

4. Which is a better round two meal at FoCo: hot cookies or chicken nuggets?

Things to consider: What an impossible question.

-- Samantha Webster

The Dartmouth Web Staff