Dartmouth Soundoff: The Best Music Festivals of 2014

By Margarette Nelson, The Dartmouth Staff | 1/30/14 6:00am

Well, I was going to write about the Grammys, but it looks like Luke McCann ’16 beat me to it. Oh well, it sounds like he watched it anyway, while I spent my Sunday night watching “The Wolf of Wall Street.”

But OMG this madness over Macklemore. To be honest, there are about a half-dozen of his songs I quite enjoy, I really do. But tying for the winner of the night with four trophies? Hmm. Some interesting perspectives on his success and the public’s reception of his songs’ themes are surfacing on the Internet. Just some food for thought.

And those are my two cents about the Grammys. Well, that and how I breathed a sigh of relief because Dr. Luke didn’t win Producer of the Year. Okay, moving on.

Around this time of year, many people’s dreams of attending a music festival get on a path toward reality. With several lineup announcements in the past few weeks, and certainly more to follow, we all know that the loosely defined “music festival season” is just around the corner. While music festivals have obviously been around for a long time (hello Woodstock), their relative popularity has increased recently, shown by the number of young festivals with quite high attendance levels. Trudging around in the depths of winter becomes a lot easier when we have something to look forward to. And remember, whatever you do, don’t be these kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_IzYUJANfk

To aid you in your decision-making, here’s a rundown on some major American festivals.

SXSW. Austin

This is definitely the least centralized event on the list. South by Southwest, which takes place at a number of bars and venues in Austin, is often the first festival destination for up-and-coming bands. Its lineup is so expansive, it’s in a directory format on their website.

Mar. 7-16

My picks: Charli XCX, Cherub, The Chevelles, Savoir Adore, Black Lips, Ron Pope

Music Badge: $750 (through Feb. 10)

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. Indio, Calif.

Coachella is probably one of the most recognizable names in the music festival community. Now in its 15th year, the festival has come to symbolize the quintessential music festival experience. Note its back-to-back weekends of performances to maximize attendees (and profit).

April 11-13, 18-20

General Admission: $375 (Sold Out)

My picks: The Knife, Lorde, The Head and The Heart, MGMT, Neutral Milk Hotel

Hangout. Gulf Shores, Ala.

Since it was first held in 2010, it appears that Hangout’s organizers saw the success of Bonnaroo and realized how large the market was for music festivals. Also, who knew that Alabama had beaches? (Okay, actually I did know that because I have family who live there, but most people are surprised.)

May 16-18

Three-Day General Admission: $258

My picks: The Black Keys, Pretty Lights, The Avett Brothers, Tegan and Sara, Capital Cities

Shaky Knees. Atlanta

Only in its second year (probably explains the low price), Shaky Knees’ lineup isn’t huge, but isn’t without quality names.

May 9-11

Three-Day Advance Pass: $150

My picks: Modest Mouse, Spoon, Violent Femmes, Iron & Wine, Cold War Kids, The Whigs, Gregory Alan Isakov, American Aquarium

Governor’s Ball. New York

Now in its fourth year, Governor’s Ball is held on Randall’s Island — that random little island between Manhattan, Queens and the Bronx. Last year it majorly rained.

June 6-8

Three-Day General Admission: $250

My picks: The Strokes, Disclosure, The Kills, Empire of the Sun, The Naked and Famous, Lucius

Bonnaroo. Manchester, Tenn.

Growing up in Georgia, I knew the name Bonnaroo long before I had ever heard the word “Coachella.” Probably best embodying the “dirty hippie” stereotype of music festivals, Bonnaroo has definitely become more mainstream in recent years.

June 12-15

Presale: $235 (Sold Out)

My picks: Tom Petty, Empire of the Sun, The Lumineers, The Tallest Man on Earth, Walk the Moon

Lollapalooza. Chicago

Held in Grant Park since 2005, Lollapalooza is a massive festival that has international spin-offs in South America. A lineup and tickets have yet to be released, but last year’s tickets sold out in two hours.

Aug. 1-3

2013 approximate price: $235

Other Notable Mentions:

Electric Daisy Carnival. New York and Las Vegas

May 24-25 (New York)

June 20-22 (Las Vegas)

Three-Day General Admission: $345

Sasquatch! Quincy, Wash.

May 23-25

July 4-6

Tickets TBA

Outside Lands. San Francisco

August 8-10

Tickets TBA

Margarette Nelson, The Dartmouth Staff