Around the Ivies

By Irene Cofie | 1/9/14 3:00am

BROWN UNIVERSITY: On New Year’s Eve, Dana Dourdeville ’15 went missing during a solo duck-hunting trip off the coast of Massachusetts. The Coast Guard discovered his kayak three miles offshore a few hours after he left his house. Due to weather conditions, the Coast Guard search was suspended on Thursday. However, approximately 400 friends, family members and volunteers continued the search this Tuesday.

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY: Columbia University’s president Lee Bollinger announced his opposition to the American Studies Association’s boycott of Israeli universities last Friday, as the boycotts “compromise an essential value of universities in an increasingly global society,” he said. The ASA called for the boycott on December 15 to protest Israel’s policies toward Palestine and its students. Bollinger opposed a similar boycott led by the British University and College Union in 2007. Barnard President Deborah Spar has expressed her support for Bollinger’s position.

CORNELL UNIVERSITY: After flooding in city creeks caused by ice jams, Ithaca mayor Svante Myrick announced a state of emergency on Tuesday. The city’s wind chill dropped to -21 degrees and the National Weather Service issued a wind chill warning for the area. City officials and the National Weather Service are preparing for the warmer weather scheduled to arrive later this week, as the thawing may increase the danger of flooding.

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY: Hafiz Dhanani ’16 hopes to sell the natural supplement he developed to Princeton University students. Luminate increases focus for six to eight hours and eliminates the negative side effects caused by drugs like Adderall, he said. The only ingredient he has so far revealed is artichoke extract. Twenty-five to 35 individuals have tested the drug so far.

HARVARD UNIVERSITY: Harvard Medical School has received a grant of $90 million “to spur innovative scientific inquiry and discovery.” The community has plans to use the gift to broaden knowledge of the biology of cancer, as well to research improving patient outcomes. The gift coincides with the appointment of Joan S. Brugge as the new co-director for the center for cancer research at Harvard.

UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA: A student was the victim of a hit and run last Sunday night, suffering minor injuries. The victim was crossing the intersection and the SUV did not stop after the collision. Penn Police managed to stop the driver and discovered that he had a suspended license. Accidents at the crossing have sent seven people to the hospital in the past calendar year, including four University of Pennsylvania students.

YALE UNIVERSITY: Samuel See, a former Yale University assistant professor serving time in prison, was pronounced dead of accidental causes onNov. 24. See was detained following a domestic dispute with his husband. The State Medical Examiner’s Office told the Yale Daily Newsthat See died from a heart attack induced by methamphetamines. Colleagues and students interviewed in the wake of the death said they had no information about See’s drug use.

Irene Cofie