Fall To-Do List

By Alexandra Johnson, The Dartmouth Staff | 10/2/13 12:00pm

Many say fall is the most beautiful time of year in New England. Colorful leaves, crisp autumn air and plentiful sunshine have graced the first few weeks of 13F, and now is the time to take advantage of fall activities in the Upper Valley. Before midterms kick in and all the leaves fall away (no pun intended), be sure to cross some of these items off your fall bucket list.

Apple Picking: Perhaps the most quintessential New England activity of them all, apple picking is a sure way to embrace the season. Head down to Poverty Lane Orchards, a mere 15-minute drive from campus, and pick as much apples to your heart’s content. The orchard also sells local pumpkins, gourds and squash if you’re looking to add some fall flair to your dorm room.

Fire Tower Hike: There’s no better time of year to hike Gile Mountain than in the fall, when the leaves are at peak foliage. The hike is an easy hour-long round trip, and once atop the fire tower you’ll be rewarded with one of the best views around. Bonus points if you wake up at the crack of dawn and hike to the tower in time to watch the sun rise.

Norwich Farmer’s Market: While we are lucky enough to have bountiful local produce for sale on the Green every Wednesday afternoon, the ultimate farmer’s market is across the river in Norwich. The Norwich Farmer's Market is held every Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and sells locally grown fruit, vegetables, baked goods, prepared foods and homemade craft items. With all the delicious fall foods and flavors currently at their peak, be sure to schedule in a trip to Norwich before the market closes for the season at the end of October.

Billings Farm & Museum: For the ultimate celebration of fall in New England, drive out to Billings Farm in Woodstock. Located in scenic, rural Vermont, the farm boasts incredible views of the surrounding area and celebrates the season in a variety of upcoming activities. From Oct. 5 to 6, the farm is hosting a pumpkin and apple celebration, featuring apple tasting, cider pressing, pumpkin bowling, apples-on-a-string, making pumpkin and apple ice cream, cooking apple butter in the farmhouse, and wagon rides. Oct.12 to 13 is Harvest Weekend, where visitors will take part in a traditional Vermont harvest celebration with a husking bee and barn dance, cider pressing, harvesting root vegetables and enjoying spiced cider and homemade doughnuts.

Alexandra Johnson, The Dartmouth Staff