Visual Arts Digital Lab Offers Design Program Workshops and Hosts Digital Arts Events

By Irene Cofie | 10/5/13 9:19am

The Visual Arts Digital Lab in the Black Family Visual Arts Center is a great place for those who love videomaking, digital art or technological inspiration in general. Dartbeat interviewed Milo Johnson ’13, the Digital Lab intern, to take a look through the Visual Arts Digital Lab.

As an intern, Johnson offers video editing, animation, photography and design program workshops in the VAC.

Dartbeat: What drew you to work at the lab?

Johnson: I've been making short videos for a long time now — since middle school I think. I majored in biology as an undergrad, but took some video production classes and did a couple video projects, so I've kept my love for videomaking and video editing alive. The Digital Lab is a place where I can use and share my video editing and animation skills and also learn and teach new skills involved in digital photography, graphic design, and other digital arts. Digital art is an awesome field at the intersection of art and science, and making art using computers opens up so many possibilities. I also love teaching, so I was really excited that I get to teach workshops as the digital lab intern

Regardless of your major, the Visual Arts Digital Lab is open to all students. Johnson holds open hours every week in the lab. Additionally, workshops are held Mondays and Wednesdays from 2 to 3 p.m. Johnson is running a new program in the lab called Music Video Monday, “which combines music video ideation (coming up with ideas for music videos) with trivia,” he said. The Digital Arts Lab will even hold an eccentric presentation by David Hamlin ’82, a National Geographic executive producer, on Oct. 21, centered on filmmaking in wildlife.

So indeed, you should come to the Visual Arts Digital Lab to develop skills, see amazing presentations and most importantly, have fun. You can visit the following site for more information about Dartmouth’s magnificent Digital Lab.

Irene Cofie