Dartmouth Students Raise Money for Affordable Housing with Bike & Build

By Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Staff | 10/14/13 4:00am

Courtesy of Ben Parker

While many Dartmouth students were working away at internships, taking classes over sophomore summer or spending some time to relax, Matt McFarland ’16 and Ben Parker ’16 were biking across the country to raise money for affordable housing.

McFarland and Parker completed their journey through Bike & Build, a national nonprofit dedicated to raising money and awareness for affordable housing through cross-country biking trips since its creation in 2003.

Potential participants apply to the program in the fall and are then required to raise at least $4,500 to participate. Volunteers cycle one of the eight different courses across the nation, travelling an average of 70 miles per day for over 10 weeks. Each team completes an average of 12 build days with affordable housing organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, Rebuilding Together and other local nonprofits.

In addition, about 45 percent of the money raised by participants goes toward grants to which affordable housing organizations apply. This year, Bike & Build will grant almost $500,000 to over 300 affordable housing nonprofits across the country.

For McFarland and Parker, this was an opportunity to have a true summer adventure while also completing fulfilling work.

“Having always been interested in volunteering and service, this seemed like a great opportunity to do something that felt insurmountable and challenge myself doing something I loved,” Parker said.

The physical and mental challenges along the way proved difficult, although not impossible, to overcome. Weather was one of the biggest issues along the way, McFarland said.

“When it is really hot and sunny and you’re exhausted, you just have to grit through it,” McFarland said. “In some ways not knowing what was ahead was always hard; is there going to be another mountain around the bend, are we going to eat tonight?”

However, the lessons that were reinforced through each day’s travels provided a perspective that made the process worthwhile, they said.

“The best part was falling asleep and waking up in a new place every day. You live out of a little tub that fits all of your stuff,” McFarland said. “You learn a new definition of necessity. You appreciated things like food, shelter, nice weather, maintenance-free bikes.”

The experience also provided a different view relating to privilege. Even on some of the hardest days, Parker felt lucky simply to be able to take advantage of this opportunity.

“I began to feel how incredibly privileged we were to be able to do something like this,” he said. “There were absolutely times where it was difficult, we got caught in lightning storms, but you’re doing it with this group of 30 other people and you’re all really into it and really into the cause. It’s just so incredibly fulfilling.”

One of the highlights of the trip was meeting a variety of people from different backgrounds across the nation and each of these interactions was very positive, Parker said.

“Every person was just really interested in what we were doing and were behind the cause,” Parker said. “It’s such a cool feeling to think you can be an inspiration for someone else. Getting to do that every single day and sensing how good these people are, it seriously renews your faith in humanity.”

Parker and McFarland said their experience had been one of the most satisfying adventures they have ever had. Both students would recommend the organization to anyone who feels ready for a revealing and challenging experience.

“The friends you make, the lessons you learn and the things you see can change the way you live your life, and I know it did for me,” McFarland said. “That’s the best use of a summer that you could ever get.”

Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Staff