Pick your way through the Upper Valley

By Alexandra Johnson, The Dartmouth Staff | 8/6/13 9:00am

It’s no secret that berries are in season — take a quick stroll through the Hanover farmers’ market and you’ll notice there is no shortage of blueberries for sale. While you don’t need to go any farther than the Green on Wednesday afternoons to get fresh, local fruit, a more rewarding (and fun!) experience lies in picking your own berries. The Upper Valley is home to countless pick-your-own farms, and a sunny afternoon spent picking berries is a well-deserved treat with finals quickly approaching. Check out these farms and stock up on tasty fruit before 13X (and berry season) come to a close.

Cedar Circle Farm

Only a 20-minute ride from campus, Cedar Circle Farm in Thetford, VT feels worlds away with its quintessential pick-your-own berry fields. Stroll the rows of blueberry bushes and load up as many cartons as you can carry. Drive a little farther down the road to the farm stand, where an impressive array of fresh vegetables waits. Behind the farm stand are sprawling produce fields and greenhouses full of bright flowers. If you’re feeling fatigued from all that blueberry picking, pop into the “Hello Café” coffeehouse for some caffeine (and a homemade baked good, of course). WiFi is even available outside the café if you’re in need of an alternative study space.

225 Pavilion Road, East Thetford, VT

Poverty Lane Orchards

Produce enthusiasts may have previously visited Poverty Lane Orchards for apple picking, and while apple season is still weeks away, the orchard currently offers raspberry and cherry picking. Poverty Lane is a quick 10-minute drive from Hanover, and is located at the end of a scenic, windy road in Lebanon. Don’t miss Thirsty Thursday, when the orchard provides free tastings of various, locally produced apple ciders.

98 Poverty Lane, Lebanon, NH

Riverview Farm

If you’re looking to expand your fruit horizons beyond the classic berries, consider a trip to Riverview Farm in Plainfield, NH. The farm features pick-your-own currants in addition to the standard blueberries and raspberries, and it boasts expansive flower fields and sells bouquets of fresh and dried flowers. Riverview also has a barn store selling pre-picked produce and homemade jams. Be sure to stop back in the fall for the famous corn maze and more-famous homemade doughnuts and apple cider—only on weekends.

141 River Road, Plainfield, NH

Alyson’s Orchard

Alyson's Orchard sits on 450 acres of pure fruit heaven. In the summer, visitors can pick their own blueberries and raspberries and, beginning mid-August, peaches! After picking fruit to your heart’s content, swing by the farm stand and ogle the homemade pies and jams. If you need a break from the library during finals, head back to Alyson’s on August 25 for a peach bake-off and cook-off. The real pride and joy of Alyson’s, though, is its sprawling apple orchards. Pencil in a trip in the fall to see their famed tree with 20 varieties of apples.

57 Alyson’s Lane, Walpole, NH

Alexandra Johnson, The Dartmouth Staff