Classes officially cancelled tomorrow

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 4/23/13 2:12pm

"To the Dartmouth community,

We are writing today to let you know that tomorrow, Wednesday, April 24, 2013,all undergraduate and graduate classes in the Arts & Sciences will not be held.They will, however, be replaced by alternative programming designed to bringstudents, faculty, and staff together to discuss Dartmouth's commitment tofostering debate that promotes respect for individuals, civil and engageddiscourse, and the value of diverse opinions.

This unusual action is being taken by the President and the Dean of the Facultyof Arts & Sciences and is strongly supported by the Dean of the College, otherdivisions, and many students and staff. This has been prompted by a series ofthreatening and abusive online posts used to target particular students in thewake of the protest that disrupted the Dimensions Welcome Show on Fridayevening. We feel it is necessary for the community as a whole to have theopportunity to learn about all that has transpired and to discuss furtheraction that will help us live up to our mission.

Tomorrow's programming will include:

-9:30--11 a.m.: Faculty of Arts & Sciences (tenured and tenure-track)participation in a meeting of the Faculty Coordinating Committee, in the BlackFamily Visual Arts Center's Loew Auditorium
-10--11 a.m.: Jessica Pettitt, a social justice and diversity consultant andfacilitator, will speak in Dartmouth Hall 105
-11:30 a.m.--12 p.m.: Community gathering on the lawn in front of DartmouthHall
-12:15--1:15 p.m.: Complimentary lunch for the Dartmouth community at Class of1953 Commons
-1:30--3 p.m.: "Teach-in" small discussions facilitated by faculty andstaff in rooms across campus, locations to be announced

Additional details regarding locations will be published by 9 a.m. tomorrow onthe Dean of the College website:http://www.dartmouth.edu/~deancoll/

The decision to replace classes for a day with alternative programming is nottaken lightly. The faculty will decide how best to make up tomorrow's classtime.

Together, we will make this day an important step toward realizing a betterDartmouth.

We hope to see you tomorrow,

Carol Folt, Interim President
Michael Mastanduno, Dean of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Charlotte Johnson, Dean of the College
Joseph Helble, Dean of Thayer School of Engineering
Lindsay Whaley, Interim Vice Provost
Maria Laskaris, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid
Harry Sheehy, Director of Athletics
Harry Kinne, Director of Safety & Security"

The Dartmouth Web Staff