The Oreo Topside Challenge

By Carinna Arvizo | 2/25/13 10:00am

I don’t have a sweet tooth, but I still love to bake for my friends and for fun. Giving them something homemade beats anything you can buy in a store. Last week, I started talking to my friends about hosting a baking session, but told them that the ingredients could only come from Collis Market and they all agreed that the main ingredient had to be Oreo cookies.

Why the limitations? I refuse to go to the Co-op Food Store because you always buy more than you need. Who needs three different types of granola, ten apples and every product ever sold by Annie’s — lack of self-control? Perhaps. We ended up making three recipes: Oreo ice cream cake, chocolate-covered Oreos and fried Oreos.

Oreo ice cream cake:

6 ice cream sandwiches
Whipped cream
18 Oreos
1 cookie sheet

Place three ice cream sandwiches onto the cookie sheet, side by side. Then place nine Oreos on top of the ice cream sandwiches and add a layer of whipped cream. Repeat for the second layer. Be sure to leave it in the freezer, so that the Oreos will absorb the moisture, making it easier to cut.

Chocolate-covered Oreos:

1 bag of semisweet chocolate chips
Oreos
1 cookie sheet
Wax paper, aluminum foil, or nonstick cooking spray

Collis Market does not sell wax paper so use aluminum foil or non-stick cooking spray to avoid the chocolate from sticking onto the cookie sheet. Melt one ounce of semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave for about 90 seconds. Check the chocolate at 30-second intervals because every microwave is different and you could potentially burn the chocolate. After the chocolate is melted, dip an Oreo into the chocolate, covering it completely, then place it onto the cookie sheet. Once you’re done, place the tin into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Fried Oreos:

Pancake Mix
Frozen Oreos (freeze for four hours)
Confectioners’ sugar (Optional)
Vegetable oil
1 pan
1 mixing bowl
1 spatula
1 fork

Pancake Mix:

¾ cup of flour
½ tablespoon of sugar
1 ¾ teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoon of salt
1 egg
½ cup of milk
½ tablespoons of melted butter

Place the egg, milk, butter, salt and baking powder in a bowl and mix them together. Slowly add the flour and sugar to the mix. The pancake mix will be done once it has a smooth texture. You could also use premade pancake mix, but Collis Market doesn’t sell it.

Make sure you freeze the Oreos for four hours before frying them. After you are done making the pancake mix, fill the pan with vegetable oil, but make sure it is about one inch deep. Heat the oil until it starts to bubble a little. Be careful not to overheat it — you might burn yourself when you place the Oreos in the pan. Use a fork to dunk an Oreo into the pancake mix and then fry it in the pan. Wait until the pancake mix turns golden brown. Once it is done, place it onto the cookie sheet and sprinkle confectioners sugar onto the fried Oreo. Fight temptation for a few minutes before eating it — you don’t want to burn your tongue!

Carinna Arvizo