Oh! The Places You'll Go: King Arthur Flour Factory

By Alexandra Johnson | 1/25/13 8:30am

It’s no secret that Dartmouth students are mildly obsessed with King Arthur Flour. The installation of a KAF café in Baker-Berry library redefined the idea of “library food” (there’s nothing better than brie and apple on a baguette) and their freshly roasted coffee is easily the best on campus.

Today’s post takes us beyond the library café to the King Arthur Flour factory in Norwich, the source of said brie and apple goodness. The KAF factory is an architectural delight, newly remodeled in a modern style. The flagship campus boasts a state-of-the-art bakery where you can observe the bakers at work, a baking education center that offers classes for adults and children and a retail store with more baking products than you could ever imagine (did you know there is such thing as a cupcake corner that allows you to easily “make room for the good stuff”?).

Of course, all the KAF goodies we enjoy at the Baker location are available for purchase, in addition to an evening menu featuring delicacies such as turkey pot pie, slow-roasted pulled pork and macaroni and cheese. Is your mouth watering yet? The factory is seriously worth a visit, even if all you do is nibble on free samples and peer in at the bakers shaping loaves of bread inside the bakery. You’ll have a whole new appreciation for the baked goods that are right inside our library.

The King Arthur Flour factory is located at 135 U.S. Route 5 South, Norwich. Hours: Monday – Sunday 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m., free admission, 802-649-3361.

Alexandra Johnson