"Cupcake Warz" take Dartmouth

By Alexandra Johnson | 10/15/12 6:30am

Alpha Phi sorority’s “Cupcake Warz” event, benefiting the Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth, saw huge success this Sunday, Oct. 14. The event, inspired by the Food Network’s hit show “Cupcake Wars”, featured over 60 types of cupcakes baked by both students and community members.

eir goal was to break $1000 in donations, and although the exact amount of money raised has not yet been calculated as of press time, Lee and Heinen estimated they raised over $1000.

Visitors received ballots to vote for up to three cupcakes they thought were best, while an expert panel of judges separately cast votes. The panel of local celebrities included Lou’s Restaurant owner Toby Fried, Collis baked goods chef Mary Ann Milanese, and Priya Krishna ’13 who has interned for the Food Network.

The winner of the expert category was Addy Adewusi '14’s “Organic Terra Cotta Squash and Maple Cream” cupcakes, which featured squash from the Dartmouth organic farm. Abbey Schmitt' 15 and Katie Rowe '16's creamy concoction, the "Caramel iCupcake", won the popular category.

Lee and Heinen, both fans of the Cupcake Wars TV show, thought it would be "fun" to bring the event to Dartmouth. Lee said they were interested in the idea of a bake-sale “on a bigger scale.”As Dartmouth students are very busy, Lee said she was “pleasantly surprised” by how many people entered.

Almost all cupcakes incorporated a fall-themed flavor, varying from pumpkin spice to gingerbread to apple pie. Cupcakes ranged from the basic (vanilla) to the gourmet (mocha crunch topped with pumpkin seed and caramel brittle), and contestants said they spent anywhere from one to eight hours preparing their baked treats.

As Lee and Heinen wanted the fundraiser to be a community event, they advertised in Hanover and Norwich to attract locals.

Participating local businesses included Sona’s Gluten-Free Bakery of Springfield, VT which contributed gluten-free vanilla cupcakes, and Barbara and Oscar Miller of World Cup(cakes) in Lyme, which had a popular bacon-filled chocolate creation.

Most student contestants said they entered Cupcake Warz simply because they enjoy baking and wanted to support a good cause. Several event-goers commented that Cupcake Warz drew lots of local community members (both bakers and tasters) in addition to Dartmouth students. Lane Zuraw ’15 said she appreciated that it “wasn’t just Dartmouth students” who came out to sample the cupcakes and support CHaD. Lee and Heinen said they were pleased with the turnout and hope Cupcake Warz becomes an annual event for Alpha Phi.

Krishna is a member of The Dartmouth Senior Staff.

Alexandra Johnson