Broadway adaptation of 'Animal House' in the works

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 3/5/12 4:43pm

Wel­come to Broad­way, Bluto, Otter and Boon! Na­tional Lam­poon’s 1978 gross-out clas­sic "An­i­mal House" (1978) is thelat­est filmset to beadaptedinto a Broad­way mu­si­cal.

So far, the Cana­dian alt-rock band Bare­naked Ladies has signed on to score the mu­si­cal while Tony win­ner Casey Nicholaw of "The Book of Mor­mon" and "The Drowsy Chap­er­one" will pro­vide di­rec­tion and chore­og­ra­phy. Play­wrightMichael Mit­nickwill adapt the screen­play.

Uni­ver­sal Pic­tures Stage Pro­duc­tions will pro­duce the mu­si­cal along with Jef­frey Richards, Jerry Frankel and James L. Ned­er­lan­der.

Set at a col­lege based off our very own bu­colic cam­pus in 1962, the orig­i­nal filmbe­ginsas "Dean Wormer is de­ter­mined to expel the en­tire Delta Tau Chi Fra­ter­nity, though the frat's mis­fit group of trou­ble­mak­ers has other plans."

The orig­i­nal pro­ducer of the film,Matty Sim­mons— a found­ing pub­lisher of Na­tional Lam­poon mag­a­zine — will serve as ex­ec­u­tive pro­ducer. Chris Miller '63 co-wrote the film, which is loosely based off his ex­pe­ri­ences as a mem­ber of Alpha Delta fra­ter­nity.

"An­i­mal House" starred the late John Belushi, Tim Math­e­son, Karen Allen, fu­ture Tony-win­ning "Spring Awak­en­ing" lead pro­ducer Tom Hulce and Kevin Bacon.

The Dartmouth Web Staff