The Big Green outbleeds the Big Red

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 5/9/11 6:23pm

While Cor nell has al most three un der grad u ate stu dents for each Dart mouth un der grad, Dart mouth hearts beat harder dur ing last week's Red Cross blood drive. Dart mouth won the blood drive com pe ti tion against Cor nell, do nat ing 238 pints to Cor nell's 121 de spite the sig­nif i cantly smaller size of the Col lege's stu dent body. After Win ter term's blood drive, stu dents at Cor nell looked at blood drive num bers and dis­cov ered that their school was do nat ing less than Dart mouth, Red Cross club chair Michael Klein '14 said. "The Red Cross spon sors school chal lenges, so Cor nell ini ti ated a chal lenge against Dart­mouth to try and raise more blood than us," Klein said. Dart mouth's Red Cross club men tioned the com pe ti tion in blitzes sent out to cam pus, but didn't push par tic u larly hard for this ad ver tis ing cam paign com pared to in pre vi ous terms. The groups placed signs around camps, and the in fa mous blood drop suit was vis i ble out­side of the Hop, where the blood drive took place last Wednes day. While Dart mouth crushed in this round of nee dles and pints, the Red Cross club feels that col lect ing blood is im por tant re gard less of any com pe ti tions that are going on, Klein said. "There's al ways a high de mand for blood in the New Eng land re gion," he said.

The Dartmouth Web Staff