Club baseball at bat for the spring season

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 4/21/11 4:17pm

The newest club sport on campus ¬— club baseball — is playing its first season this spring despite inclement weather and difficulties finding training space.

Co-captain Ryan Collins ’12, a group member who played a large role establishing the team, said he tried playing intramural softball last year, but it wasn’t the experience he was looking for.

The collegiate authorization process for the club team was “slow going,” Collins said, particularly because he was off-campus during Winter term while the group applied for official recognition. Collins got a few tips about the process from some of the students who started a club lacrosse team last year, he said.

The group currently has around 15 consistent players out of a blitz list of roughly 30 people who expressed interest. Trevor Horan ’13, Ben Southworth ’13 and co-captains Chris Jenny ’12 and Danny Lee ’12 have also been involved in getting the project off the ground, Collins said.

The College has given the team $300 in financial support. The team will continue to support itself through member dues and events like BBQs to raise the money needed to cover team expenses.

The team will play as a part of the American Club Baseball Association, which was founded at the University of New Hampshire. The league includes teams from Tufts, the University of Maine and several colleges from Boston, Collins said.

Although players has been training at Levrone at night, they do not actually have access to a baseball field for their practices. They will use Hanover High School’s field for their games.

The group will play two home games this upcoming Saturday against the University of Maine at around 2 pm, weather permitting, Lee said.

The Dartmouth Web Staff