The Weekend Roundup: Week 2

1.13.19.womenshockey_NainaBhalla.jpg

The women's hockey team dropped games against Princeton and Quinnipiac this weekend.

Women's hockey

The women’s hockey team went 0-2 on its home ice this weekend, falling to No. 7 Princeton University 7-0 on Friday and Quinnipiac University 5-1 Saturday. 

Princeton’s three goals in the first period set the tone for a convincing victory that ended the Big Green’s three-game win streak. Dartmouth split the goal tending job among Kayla Wormsbecher ’21 — who made two saves and allowed two goals — and Hannah Humphreys ’23, who allowed the remaining five goals while tallying 20 saves. The Tigers fired 29 shots to the Big Green’s 18, but the Big Green was never able to find the back of the net and ultimately fell in a shutout to an ECAC and Ivy League rival in Princeton.

While the Big Green played Quinnipiac evenly in the first and third periods, Dartmouth lost the game in the second when Quinnipiac outscored the home team 4-0. The Big Green’s only goal of the game came in the first period from CC Bowlby ’23 on a power play with Bailee Brekke ’20 and Lotti Odnoga ’22 each earning a point for an assist. Wormsbecher and Humphreys again split the game in goal and combined for 24 saves.

The Big Green will travel to the Empire State next weekend to face Cornell University and Colgate University. 

Men's hockey

Men’s hockey pulled off two gritty performances this weekend, coming back to tie the University of Vermont and defeat Boston University after falling behind early in both nonconference matchups. The weekend games brought Dartmouth’s overall record to 8-5-3 on the year.

For most of the game Friday night at UVM, it seemed as though Dartmouth would drop its sixth-straight game to the Catamounts, despite UVM’s 3-13-2 record coming into the game. The Catamounts jumped out to an early 2-0 lead with goals in the first minute and midway through the second period. Mark Gallant ’23 answered shortly after off assists from Quin Foreman ’21 and Tanner Palocsik ’23, and Jeff Losurdo ’22 knotted the score at 2-2 with under five minutes to go. Losurdo’s goal put an end to Dartmouth’s losing streak versus UVM, but the winless streak moved to seven as the game stayed tied through overtime.

The following night, the Big Green completed a shocking comeback against BU in front of a packed home crowd, winning 5-4. The Terriers came onto the ice strong, netting three goals in the first 15 minutes. Dartmouth responded quickly, with three goals in 100 seconds to tie it, including Gallant’s third goal in four games. Gallant also had two assists on the night, including one through Palocsik to Foreman, who tied it at 3-3 before the end of the first period. After BU’s Wilmer Skoog flipped in a goal around the net in the second period, Drew O’Connor ’22 punched in two goals in 47 seconds to regain the lead for good, giving him a team-leading 10 goals on the season. 

With its nonconference slate coming to a close against BU, the Big Green hosts Clarkson University and St. Lawrence University next weekend.

Squash

Both the men’s and women’s squash teams lost their home matches this weekend. 

The No. 11 men’s squash team fell to undefeated No. 4 Princeton University on Saturday. The Big Green received wins from Jack Bell ’22, James Bell ’21 and Sam Supattapone ’21. James Bell came back from being down two games to one, winning the final game decisively 11-4. Jack Bell also came back, storming back from a 2-0 deficit to win in a close 12-10 deciding game. Sunday was even tougher for Dartmouth, as No. 3 University of Pennsylvania swept 9-0, with James Bell pushing his opponent to five games to cap off his strong weekend.

The women’s squash team, also ranked No. 11, was swept on Saturday by No. 3 Princeton. Jesse Brownell ’23 took a 2-1 lead in her match, but the Tigers’ Caroline Spahr fought back and won in five games. Ellie Gozigian ’21, Emma MacTaggart ’22 and Emma Supattapone ’23 all lost in four games. The Big Green started well on Sunday against Penn, as Supattapone and Sandra Reiss ’21 captured the first two matches of the day, but those would be the only wins for Dartmouth, with the other seven matches going in Penn’s favor.

Both the men’s and women’s teams now stand at 1-4 overall and 0-3 in conference play, and they will look to rebound next weekend at the George Washington University.

Women's swimming and diving

The women’s swimming and diving team fell to Yale University, 229.5 – 70.5, and the University of Pennsylvania, 170 – 130, at Saturday’s tri-meet in New Haven. The Big Green’s divers started the meet with three podium finishes. Maggie Pionzio ’20 took second place on the 1-meter board, with Isabella Lichen ’22 taking third. Pionzio took the podium again in the 3-meter board with a third-place finish.

The swimmers ended the meet with four more top-three finishes for the Big Green. Sophie Smith ’20 took first in the 100 yard freestyle and second in the 50 free, just one tenth of a second behind Yale’s Isabelle Henig. A Dartmouth team took second in the 400 free relay as well.

The team will travel to Storrs next weekend to face the University of Connecticut.

Men's swimming and diving

Saturday’s meet in New Haven ended in defeat for the men’s swimming and diving team. Yale University beat Dartmouth 160-140, while the University of Pennsylvania defeated the Big Green 195-105. The divers began the meet with Justin Sodokoff ’21 taking first place on the 3-meter board. Ray Neistat ’20 had Dartmouth’s highest score on the 1-meter board in fifth place.

The swimmers finished up for Dartmouth with five podium finishes. Connor LaMastra ’21 took first in the 500 and 1000 yard freestyle and finished second in the 200 butterfly. Tim Park ’23 took second place in the 200 free, while Joe Moll ’22 gave the Big Green a third-place finish in the 200 yard backstroke.

The team will race the University of Connecticut in Storrs next weekend.

Women's basketball

On Saturday, the women’s basketball team opened Ivy League play with a thrilling 63-62 win over Harvard University in front of an electric crowd in Hanover. 

The Big Green started off hot and carried its momentum throughout the game. Annie McKenna ’20 and Katie Douglas ’22 combined for five 3s in the opening frame to help their team secure a 25-15 lead going into the second quarter. Anna Luce ’21 picked up where McKenna and Douglas left off opened the Big Green’s second-quarter scoring with two consecutive triples to give the home team its biggest lead of the game. Then, however, Harvard clawed back and went into halftime down just three points.

The third quarter was a see-saw scramble, with no team taking a lead larger than four, but down three with less than half a minute to play, Jimena Abejon ’22 sunk a 3 to tie the game heading into the fourth. The final quarter was anyone’s game, but with a one-point advantage and the ball with 13 seconds to play, it looked like Harvard was about to seal the deal. Then, Douglas dove for the steal and tipped it to McKenna, who ran ahead for the go-ahead layup. A stout Big Green defense held Harvard in the Crimson’s last possession to secure the win.

The Big Green will aim for a regular season sweep of the Crimson when the team travels to Cambridge for a rematch on Jan. 25.

Women's track and field

Women’s track and field dominated at Leverone Field House in a commanding win this weekend, beating out second-place University of New Hampshire 211-51. This victory marks Dartmouth’s tenth consecutive Dartmouth Relays title. 

The Big Green had first and second place finishes in the 800 meters and the high jump and took the top four spots in the long jump and the pole vault. Julia Valenti ’20 not only won the pole vault, but set the meet record, clearing 13-1.5/4.0 meters. To cap off the wins, Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 took first in the 60m hurdles, Lily Lockhart ’21 won the shot put and the Dartmouth team finished first in the 4x400m relay.

Next week the team will face Columbia University and Yale University at home.

Men's track and field

Men’s track and field came out of the weekend’s Dartmouth Relays with their eighth win in nine years. The stars of the meet were Myles Epstein ’23 with first place in the 60m dash and Mathieu Freeman ’21, who won the 400m dash. Max Frye ’21 and Tim Zepf ’21 followed Freeman in the 400, finishing third and fourth respectively. The Big Green also claimed podium finishes in the shot put and the weight throw and rounded out its success with first place in the 4x400m relay.

The team will stay in Hanover next week to challenge Columbia University and Yale University.