Editors' Note

Sophie_HEALTH WELLNESS COVER-01.jpg

The concepts of health and wellness have become buzz terms lately. From lifestyle blogs to mindfulness apps, it seems like everyone has something to say about improving our quality of life. Blogs like goop advocate practices based in pseudo-science, and Instagram influencers advertise “diet tea.” It is important to acknowledge that self-care is often a privileged activity, with many people lacking the time or resources to prioritize their health. However, our society’s recent focus on wellness has helped destigmatize mental health and shed light on the value of self-care. 

For this week’s Mirror issue, we delve into all things related to health. We look at the successes and pitfalls of the systems in place to support the mental health of Dartmouth students. We explore Dartmouth alcohol culture and the dangers of binge-drinking. We address the physical health of our students by debunking the elusive “freshman plague” and shedding light on the recent vaping health crisis. We also profile the anthropology department’s global health minor. 

Whether you’re an advocate of daily meditation, or you swear by the positive effects of Kombucha, we all have little things we do to improve our wellness. We hope that this week’s Mirror issue will open you up to subjects related to mental and physical health and remind you of the importance of looking after the wellbeing of your peers and yourself. Now go take that bubble bath.