The Weekend Roundup: Week 7

5.6.19.softball_JustinKramer.jpg

Big Green softball swept Princeton this weekend to close out the season.

Women's lacrosse

In the Ivy League tournament semifinals against No. 14 University of Pennsylvania, No. 12 Dartmouth lost 15-14 in a heartbreaker. Despite trailing by four in the latter part of the second half, the Big Green scored five goals to Penn’s two to come within one before the Quakers ran out the clock. Star attacker Kierra Sweeney ’19 scored five goals and midfielder Elizabeth Mastrio ’19 added four more. 

Even with the loss, which drops Dartmouth to an 11-5 record, the Big Green secured an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament — the first time it has qualified for the tournament since 2013. The Green and White will play the University of Colorado Boulder on Friday at Boston College.

Softball

The softball team had a solid finish to its season by going 3-1 for the week and sweeping the weekend series against Princeton University. On Wednesday, in its last road game, the Big Green lost to Boston College 8-2. The Eagles had a great all-around game and were too much for the Big Green, which did not make things easier on itself with three errors. Micah Schroder ’20 was one of the lone bright spots for the Big Green on Saturday, going 2-3 with two RBIs. 

Despite dropping the game to Boston College, the series against Princeton was a different story. In the first game against Princeton, the Big Green had one of its greatest comebacks of the season. Trailing 4-1 going into the bottom of the sixth inning, Dartmouth scored seven runs to put the game out of reach. McKenna Gray ’21 led the Big Green offensively, going 2-3 with a home run. Calista Almer ’20 went 2-4 and drove in two additional runs. 

In the second game, Dartmouth had a dominant performance, winning 12-4 in five innings. The Big Green scored five runs in both the second and fifth innings and were led by Schroder, the potential Ivy League Player of the Year, who went 3-3 with a homer and four RBIs. Yesterday, the Green and White capped off the series and the season with a 1-0 victory over the Tigers in a pitchers’ duel. Tatyanah Castillo ’20 scored the game’s only run on a solo home run in the fifth, and the Big Green relied on scoreless performances from rookie pitchers Madie Augusto ’22 and Brooke Plonka ’22 to fend off Princeton’s offense. The Big Green finishes the season tied for fifth place in the Ivy League with Princeton.

Men's track and field

Men’s track and field finished fifth overall in the 2019 Ivy League Heptagonal Outdoor Championship hosted by Princeton University.

The highlight of the first day came from Donovan Spearman ’21, who broke Dartmouth’s all-time record in the 200m by completing it in just 21.11 seconds. Spearman had already set the program record this year with a time of 21.14 two weeks ago at the University of Virginia.

Ben Ose ’19 won the decathlon for the second year in a row. This was his third Ivy League Championship, including indoor and outdoor seasons. In his first race of 2019, Henry Raymond ’20 won the 1500m run with a 0.61-second margin over Columbia University senior Sam Ritz. Max Frye ’21 took home the Big Green’s third event championship with a victory in the 400m hurdles. 

Another impressive sprinter was Parker Johnson ’19, who earned a combined eight of the Big Green’s total 62 points with a fourth place finish both in the 110m and 400m hurdles. 

The Big Green’s 4x800m relay team, consisting of Trevor Colby ’19, Nick Feffer ’21, Raymond, and Michael Thurston ’20, finished second but was looking at a potential fourth-place finish. Raymond, who ran the last leg of the race, improved Dartmouth’s position from fourth to second in his run. 

The battle for first place was tight in the javelin throw. Cole Andrus ’20 ultimately placed second in the event, less than half a meter behind University of Pennsylvania’s Marc Minichello but over four meters ahead of the third-place finisher.

Frye, Raymond and Ose landed spots on the first All-Ivy League team. Andrus and the Big Green’s 4x800m relay team netted spots on the second All-Ivy League team.

Next weekend, men’s track and field will compete at the New England Championship in New Haven, CT.

Women's track and field

Women’s track and field finished seventh overall in the 2019 Ivy League Heptagonal Outdoor Championship with 51 total points. Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 starred once again, winning her third straight 100m hurdle. This was her eighth overall Ivy League Heps championship among indoor and outdoor competitions.

Julia Valenti ’20 won the pole vault by 0.05m, earning her a spot alongside Rothwell on the first All-Ivy League team. Behind Valenti was Olivia Goodwin ’21, who took sixth.

Dartmouth’s 4x100m relay team — Folasade Akinfe ’20, Nicole DeBlasio ’19, Goodwin and Rothwell — placed fourth. The Big Green also had a strong showing in the high jump, with Abigail Burke ’22 and Camille Landon ’21 tying for fourth with 1.70m jumps and Zoe Dainton ’22 placing sixth with a 1.67m jump.  

In the 800m, Claire Dougherty ’20 took fifth while Julia Stevenson ’20 also placed fifth in the 5000m. Lauren Sapone ’20 earned sixth in the 3000m steeplechase. 

Next weekend, women’s track and field will compete at the New England Championship in New Haven, CT.

Baseball

The Big Green had a disappointing last week of the season, dropping three out of four games. Against the University of Maine on Wednesday, Dartmouth lost its last non-conference game 8-7. The Big Green trailed 8-3 going into the bottom of the eigth but mounted a ferocious comeback with a four-run inning, three of which Trevor Johnson ’20 brought in when he tripled with bases loaded. Even with the comeback, however, the Big Green was unable to squeak out the victory. 

Dartmouth continued its habit of getting behind early and scoring runs in later innings in two heartbreaking games against Cornell University on Saturday, losing 8-6 and 2-1. In the first game, Dartmouth was plagued by four errors. Both Cole O’Connor ’19 and Justin Murray ’22 threw the most innings of their careers, with O’Connor pitching a complete game in the morning and Murray throwing 7.1 innings in the afternoon. 

On Sunday, the Big Green avoided the sweep with a resounding 6-1 victory in its last game of the season. All six runs came in the sixth inning, highlighted by a three-run homer from Ubaldo Lopez ’21. The win was not only the Big Green’s 15th and final of the season, but head coach Bob Whalen’s 600th of his career. The baseball team finishes off the 2019 season in a tie for last place in the Ivy League with Cornell.

Women's rowing

Women’s rowing competed in Worcester, MA, this Sunday for the Eastern Association of Women’s Rowing Colleges Sprints. Four out of Dartmouth’s five boats qualified to race in the grand final of their events.

The Varsity Four B took third, posting an 11-second margin over Temple University. The Varsity Four C also came in third with a three-second margin over the University of Connecticut. The Varsity Four A boat — stroked by Alexandra Kent ’21 and coxed by Mikayla Hubner ’21 — put up the Big Green’s best performance of the event. The boat took second place in the Grand Final, 5.5 seconds behind Rutgers University and one second ahead of Columbia University. 

The crew of Second Varsity Eight boat finished last in their Grand Final, falling by five seconds to the University of Tennessee. Although the First Varsity Eight boat did not qualify for the Grand Final, the crew took first place in the Petite Final — just over two seconds ahead of Boston University.

The Big Green will be in Camden, NJ on May 19 for the Ivy League Championship to conclude the team’s season.

Men's tennis

In the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday, No. 39 Dartmouth fell to No. 20 University of Michigan 4-2. Dartmouth had a strong start by winning both of the doubles matches and splitting the first two singles matches to go ahead 2-1 with a win by Sid Chari ’22. However, the Wolverines pulled ahead with three consecutive singles match victories to cement their place in the next round. 

The Big Green ends a successful season tied for fourth place in the Ivy League with a 15-9 record. However, not the whole team will hang up their rackets, as No. 20 doubles team Charlie Broom ’20 and David Horneffer ’20 look forward to the NCAA doubles tournament later this month in Orlando, FL.