The Weekend Roundup: Week 5

4.22.19.mtennis.NainaBhalla.jpg

Women's golf finishes second in Ivy League championships, softball bounces back to take its series against Cornell, women's tennis ends its season on a high note and more in this week's Roundup.

Golf

The men’s and women’s golf teams competed in the Ivy Championship this weekend. After the second round, the women moved into second place with 14-over 302. Catharine Roddy ’19 had the best score of the Dartmouth team, carding a 1-over 73 to place her at the 20th position. Maddie Nelson ’20 and Moon Cheong ’21 also had strong showings tying at 11th with a 10-over 154 for the first two rounds. The team ended strong on Sunday to finish second overall, with Kaitlyn Lees ’22 finishing third among individuals. 

Sam Ohno ’21 led the way for the Dartmouth men, finishing at ninth heading into the third round. The third round saw the Big Green’s best round of the Ivy League Championship to help maintain a fourth place finish. Ohno and Jason Liu ’21 both finished with a 7-over 220 and tied for seventh, and securing both second-team All-Ivy League honors. 

Lees is a member of The Dartmouth staff.

Rowing

On Saturday, the heavyweight rowing team took on Boston University in the Bill Cup. The day was riddled with close finishes which left the team just short of the victory. Dartmouth’s Second Varsity finished with a time of 6:19.7, two seconds behind BU. For the First Varsity (6:20.6) and Third Varsity (6:35.1), Dartmouth finished three seconds behind the Terriers. The Fourth Varsity found the only victory for the Big Green, squeaking by BU four-tenths of a second faster (6:33.4).

The men’s lightweight rowing team raced twice, first at Yale University then at Columbia University. Yale (5:52.8) beat the First Varsity 8 (6:06.31) by thirteen seconds. Similarly, the Second Varsity 8 came in 14 seconds behind Yale (6:01.1). Against Columbia, Dartmouth’s First and Second Varsity 8s finished second and third in their respective races. 

Next weekend, Dartmouth’s heavyweight team will host Brown University at home in the Atlanta cup. The lightweight team will travel to Ithaca to take on No. 1 Cornell University to finish the season.

Baseball

The baseball team had a tough start to the week, losing to Middlebury College for the first time since 1950. The Big Green allowed 18 hits for 15 runs. Dartmouth was only down two going into the sixth inning, but the Panthers blew the game open with a six-run sixth inning to put the Big Green away.

The Big Green continued their home losing streak on Sunday, dropping their fifth and sixth straight home games with a pair losses to Harvard University. Their first game was close, tied 1-1 until the ninth inning when Harvard scraped across the game-winning run. Cole O’Connor ’19 pitched masterfully, throwing seven innings of one-run ball while Matt Feinstein ’19 smacked three hits. The second game was not any easier for Dartmouth as they lost 11-3. Despite getting on the board first with a run in the second inning, Dartmouth failed to get going offensively while the Crimson tallied eight of their 11 runs in the fourth and fifth innings. Steffen Torgersen ’19 went 3-4 at the plate and captain Matt Feinstein ’19 went 2-4 with a run. 

The Green and White look to bounce back against Harvard tomorrow. 

Softball

This weekend, Dartmouth softball bounced back against Cornell University in an exciting series win. Dartmouth dropped the first game in just five innings, as the Big Green allowed five runs in the third and six runs in the fifth before the game was called 13-4. The following game, however, the Big Green returned the favor by crushing Cornell in five innings for a final score of 16-1.

A four-run fourth inning on Sunday helped the Big Green secure a 7-3 victory over the Big Red to take the series. Heather Turner ’21 went 6.2 innings in the circle, allowing three runs on eight hits. McKenna Gray ’21 went 3-4 at the plate with two RBIs and a seventh inning homer. Micah Schroder ’20 finished 2-3 at the plate with two RBIs. 

The Big Green takes on Boston University in a non-conference doubleheader next week.

Men's lacrosse

Dartmouth men’s lacrosse took on the No. 5 University of Pennsylvania this Saturday. Penn got off to a hot start with 12 goals in the first half to help them cruise to a 22-6 victory over the Big Green, dropping Dartmouth to 2-10 overall and still winless in Ivy play. George Prince ’21 and Ben Martin ’20 were bright spots, scoring two goals apiece. 

Dartmouth’s last game of the season comes at home against Brown University on Saturday.

Women's lacrosse

Dartmouth women’s lacrosse routed the University of Vermont on Tuesday by a score of 22-6, including a monster first half where they outscored the Catamounts 16-4. Kierra Sweeney ’19 scored six goals in the first half alone and fellow senior Elizabeth Mastrio ’19 added five goals and two assists.

On Saturday for Senior Day, the Big Green had a resounding 15-8 victory over Cornell University to clinch a berth in the Ivy League Tournament. Many seniors had fantastic days, including Sweeney who recorded three goals and assists as well as Mastrio, who again scored five goals. Next week, the Big Green travels to Yale University for its final regular season game of the year.

Tennis

No. 16 Columbia University swept No. 40 Dartmouth on Saturday, snapping a three-match win streak for the Big Green. The Lions took the No. 2 and 3 doubles positions before winning all six singles matches. The match was not as much of a blowout as the 7-0 sweep suggests, as two singles players split sets, and two others forced their opponents to seven-win sets. 

Dartmouth then lost a nail-biter against Cornell University on Sunday, falling 4-3 with two three-set matches. The tightest match came in No. 1 singles, where Alafia Ayeni took down No. 60 Charlie Broom ’20. The two split a pair of 7-5 sets to open the match, but Ayeni secured the win by taking the third set 6-3.

The Dartmouth women’s team fell to No. 44 Columbia 4-1 this Saturday. The Big Green took the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and 3 positions. Teammates Abigail Chiu ’21 and Nicole Conrad ’22 at the top spot 6-3, and Allison Chuang ’19 and Nina Paripovic ’22 sealed the doubles victory 7-5 on court three. 

The Lions fired back in singles, winning four straight matches in two sets to clinch the victory. 

The women concluded their season with a 4-0 victory over Cornell. Chiu and Conrad continued their strong play with a 6-2 victory at the No.1 doubles spot, and Chuang and Paripovic again clinched the No. 3 spot to put Dartmouth ahead going into singles. 

Racquel Lyn ’20 took the No. 1 position and Chuyang Guan ’20 helped the Big Green clinch the victory with a 6-3, 6-2 win at the No. 4 position. Dartmouth finishes their season with an overall record of 4-17 and 1-6 in Ivy play.

The men’s team will compete in its final match of the season against Harvard University next weekend in Hanover.

Track and field

Men’s and women’s track and field were well travelled this weekend, competing in three different meets Saturday. The Big Green competed at Northeastern University, Princeton University and the University of Virginia. 

The men’s and women’s teams both placed fourth at the Carisella Coaches Invitational at Northeastern. The men’s team scored 51 points, and only had two athletes with top three finishes. Andrew Palermo ’22 won the discus and Skylar Widman ’22 claimed third in the 100m with a time of 11.14. The women’s team had a slew of athletes placing in the top three, helping the team finish with 92 points. Annalisa Crowe ’20 took first in the 800m and Elizabeth Wilson ’22 was the only runner under one minute in the 400m. 

Other notable performances came from Zoe Dainton ’22, Isabelle Giordano ’21, Folasade Akinfe ’20 and Alexandra Collins ’19 with second place finishes in the pole vault, 800m, triple jump and hammer toss, respectively.

At Virginia, the men had strong showings from Donovan Spearman ’21 and Max Frye ’21, who finished first in the 200m and 400m hurtles respectively. 

For the women, Danielle Okonta ’20 won her heat and placed third overall in the 400m hurdles at the non-scoring Larry Ellis invitational at Princeton. 

Next weekend, the Big Green will compete in meets at University of Pennsylvania and University of Massachusetts Amherst. 

Sailing

This weekend, the sailing team competed for the Admiral’s Cup at the United States Merchant Marine Academy. Dartmouth took second place out of 18 teams, finishing just two points behind Stanford University.

Next weekend, the Big Green will compete at the New England Dinghy Championship hosted by Bowdoin College in the sailing team’s final regatta of the season.