The Weekend Roundup: Week 3

baseball.michaellin-2.jpg

Heavyweight rowing sweeps in its regatta, softball wins two out of three, men's lacrosse takes on the defending national champs and more in this week's Roundup.

Baseball

The Big Green had a tough week in the win column despite some strong offensive performances. Against the College of the Holy Cross on Wednesday, Dartmouth lost 16-10 after giving up a five-run second and six-run sixth inning. Sean Sullivan ’19 paced the way with four hits and three RBIs, but the effort was not quite enough.

This past weekend, Dartmouth took on Penn at home. The first game on Saturday was extremely memorable, as it was the longest game in all of Ivy League history, spanning 21 innings in a score of 21-15. The Big Green had great comebacks in both the ninth and 13th inning by scoring three runs apiece with their backs to the wall, but an eight-run 21st inning by Penn put the game out of reach. 

On Sunday, the Big Green again gave up runs in the double digits, losing the morning game 13-1 and the afternoon game 15-3. Matt Feinstein ’19 had the lone RBI in the morning game, drilling a single past the shortstop to drive in Trevor Johnson ’20. In the afternoon game, all three of the Big Green’s runs came in the bottom of the ninth.

Dartmouth will take on the University of Massachusetts Lowell on Tuesday at home and then will return to Ivy League play next weekend at Brown University.

Softball

This weekend, Dartmouth softball (6-20, 3-6 Ivy) won two games and dropped another in a series at Yale University. The Big Green won big in both games of Saturday’s doubleheader, totaling 21 runs for the day thanks to a 10-2 victory in the first game and an 11-3 win in the second. In the first game, Dartmouth collected 15 hits and Shelby Wilkison ’21 pitched a complete game. In the next game, the Big Green knocked 13 hits en route to a 10-run performance in just the first four innings. The Green and White could not carry its success through the weekend, however, and lost Sunday’s game 8-5 despite three hits from Micah Schroder ’20, who went 10-12 on the weekend. 

The Big Green will host Harvard University next weekend for a three-game series in Hanover.

Track and field

The Dartmouth men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at three different meets on Saturday. The meets were held at the University of Massachusetts, Princeton University and the University of Georgia. 

Both the men’s and women’s teams took second place at the Minutemen Invitational at UMass, finishing with 124 and 144.5 points respectively. The men boasted first-place finishes in five events, while the women finished first in three events. At the Sam Howell Invitational at Princeton, the women’s squad brought home the only first place finish, and it was a convincing victory — Julia Stevenson ’20 finished the 5000m nearly 10 seconds ahead of the next collegiate runner, crossing the finish line in 16:45.92. Dartmouth sent just one representative each from the men’s and women’s teams to the Spec Towns Invitational in Georgia. Ben Ose ’19 scored the second most points of a college competitor in the decathlon, with 7498 points. 

Next weekend, Dartmouth will host a meet against the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, the University of Vermont and the University of Hartford. 

Men's tennis

After a nearly two week break, the No. 39 Big Green visited Princeton University and was defeated soundly, 6-1, in its first Ivy match of the season. The Big Green had defeated the Tigers 4-0 in February — but in the rematch, Dartmouth was unable to win any doubles matches, and Dan Martin ’21 won the lone victory of the day in the number three singles spot with a great straight-sets win. 

On Sunday, the Big Green bounced back against No. 50 University of Pennsylvania. Dartmouth won both of the doubles matches that finished, and also won four out of six singles matches to claim the victory. 

The Big Green will play at Brown University on Friday before returning home to face Yale University on Sunday.

Women's tennis

The Big Green (3-14, 0-3 Ivy) dropped Saturday’s match 4-1 to No. 37 Princeton. Dartmouth went winless in doubles, with the second position match going unfinished. In singles, the Big Green’s lone win was at the first position match, with Racquel Lyn ’20 winning in dominant straight sets. 

On Sunday, Dartmouth lost 4-1 again, this time to Penn. Jingyi Peng ’22 scored the Big Green’s only point of the day in the number six singles spot.

The Green and White will look to earn its first win of Ivy competition next weekend when they take on Brown and Yale.

Rowing

On Saturday, the lightweight rowing team took on Princeton University, Temple University and the University of Delaware in its spring season opener. Two boats raced for the Big Green, and the Varsity 8 finished second (6:01.9) while the Second Varsity 8 took fourth (6:23.2). Both were close races, with the Varsity 8 finishing just three seconds behind first-place Princeton, and the Second Varsity 8 finishing less than a second behind third-place Temple.

The Dartmouth heavyweight rowing team took first in each of its races at its regatta in Worcester, MA where they competed against the College of the Holy Cross, Columbia University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The Big Green had boats competing in the Varsity 8, the Second Varsity 8, the Third Varsity 8 and the Varsity 4, with the Varsity 8 boasting the Green and White’s fastest time of the day (6:02.1).

The Dartmouth heavyweights will return to the water on Saturday at Yale University for the Olympic Axe, while the Big Green lightweight rowers will compete in Hanover next Saturday against Harvard University in the Biglin Bowl.

Golf

The women’s golf team travelled to Branchburg, NJ this weekend for March Madness Match Play, finishing seventh out of eight teams. On Saturday, Moon Cheong ’21 and Catharine Roddy ’19 won their early matches, while Maddie Nelson ’20 and Julianne Strauch ’21 took their matches in the consolation bracket later in the day. 

Men’s golf played in the Irish Creek Intercollegiate in Kannapolis, NC this weekend and finished 11th out of 16 teams. Jason Liu ’21 led the team with a two-under-par effort over two days, placing him tied for 14th overall in the standings, and James Turner ’21 wasn’t far behind with a two-over-par finish.

The men’s squad will next play two weeks from now in the Ivy League championships in Egg Harbor, NJ.

With their regular season now concluded, the women will have two weeks to prepare for the Ivy League championships in Ringoes, NJ on April 19-21.  

Men's lacrosse

Men’s lacrosse played No. 5 Yale University and fell to the Bulldogs 20-8 despite being tied after the first quarter. Ben Martin ’20 led the team with a hat trick and an assist for four points, but it was not enough as the defending national champion Yale outshot the Big Green 82-29. The loss drops Dartmouth to 2-7 (0-3 Ivy). 

The Big Green will look to rebound against the University of Hartford at home on Tuesday before playing for its first Ivy win at Princeton University on Saturday.

Women's lacrosse

On Tuesday, women’s lacrosse hosted the University of Connecticut and defeated the Huskies 18-9 after leading them 10-3 in the first half. The Big Green was led by Katie Bourque ’20 who had four goals and an assist. Bourque was one of 10 players who found the back of the net for the Big Green.

On Saturday, Dartmouth lost 14-12 in an extremely close affair against No. 17 Princeton University, who ended the Big Green’s six-game winning streak. Despite trailing by four at halftime, the Big Green raced back to take a 12-11 lead before surrendering three late goals to clinch it for the Tigers. Elizabeth Mastrio ’19 paced the Big Green with six points, and Bourque continued her scoring tear with a hat trick of her own. The loss drops Dartmouth to 7-4 (3-1 Ivy). 

The Big Green’s next game is on Saturday against Penn, a team that currently sits at the top of the Ivy League standings.