Capital campaign surpasses $2 billion in donations

4.4.dhall.michaellin - cap campaign.jpg

Over 83,000 individuals have contributed to the College's "The Call to Lead" capital campaign. 

College President Phil Hanlon announced yesterday that the College’s ongoing capital campaign has raised just over $2 billion toward its goal of $3 billion. 

When the campaign, titled “The Call to Lead,” was publicly launched 11 months ago, the College had already raised approximately $1.5 billion over the course of four years during the campaign’s quiet phase. The campaign — scheduled to end in 2022 — has raised at least $220 million since September, when The Dartmouth reported that the campaign had raised $1.78 billion so far.

According to a College press release, more than 83,000 individuals have contributed to the campaign so far, up from approximately 78,000 donors at the time of the campaign’s public launch. And, just over half of all gifts have been for $1,000 or less. Further, nearly 2,000 individuals have committed to $261 million in bequest intentions. In September, The Dartmouth reported that progress on the College’s capital campaign was outpacing Brown University’s progress on its $3 billion BrownTogether capital campaign.

At the time of the campaign’s announcement, its stated goals included reintroducing need-blind admissions for international applicants; developing financial aid packages that do not include loans; constructing a new 350-bed residence hall; developing a four-year leadership program for undergraduates; funding in research in the Arctic, energy and cancer treatments; developing a focus on entrepreneurship, business and design on the western part of campus; expanding the Hood Museum of Art; and renovating the Hopkins Center for the Arts. 

To date, the campaign has already funded 165 new student scholarships, and the College intends to increase this number to 250 by the end of the year in honor of the College’s 250 anniversary. In addition, the campaign has funded the recent expansion of the Hood Museum of Art, construction of the new Moosilauke Ravine Lodge and ongoing construction of a 160,000 square-foot engineering and computer science building at the West End of campus. 

In August, the Valley News reported that although the College was preparing to renovate the Hopkins Center, it had “no specific plans or timeline yet.” In September, The Dartmouth reported that the College’s Board of Trustees had approved a plan to develop a schematic design for a new 350-bed dormitory. In the same month, The Dartmouth also reported that the College was in the preliminary stages of integrating a four-year, co-curricular leadership program into its undergraduate graduation requirements. In February, The Dartmouth reported that the Irving Energy Institute had issued nine inaugural grants to researchers and one team of undergraduates.

The College press release did not explicitly mention what progress the College has made toward restoring need-blind admissions for international applicants, eliminating loans from financial aid packages and funding cancer and Arctic research.

A full story with more details will be published in the near future.