The Weekend Roundup: Week 3

The football team picked up its third win of the season and 700th in program history with its win against the University of Pennsylvania this weekend.

M Soccer

On Tuesday, men’s soccer defeated the University of Albany in overtime. The teams played evenly in regulation, with both teams able to put two shots on goal. Albany had two more total shots than Dartmouth, with 11 to the Big Green’s nine.

Dartmouth goalkeeper Henry Stusnick ’20 made one of his two saves on the night with fewer than three minutes remaining in regulation to send the game into overtime.

The Big Green did not waste any time once the game started again. In the opening minute of overtime, senior Justin Donawa ’19 scored on a header off of a cross from sophomore Dawson McCartney ’21 for the game’s lone goal.

Dartmouth finished the week with another overtime game in its Ivy League opener against Princeton University. The Big Green started strong with two goals in the opening 35 minutes. Off a throw-in in the 20th minute, McCartney chipped Tigers goalkeeper Jacob Schachner to open the game’s scoring. Fifteen minutes later, Matt Pickering ’22 sent a header off of a free kick into the back of the net for Pickering’s first collegiate goal. 

Dartmouth lost Stusnick to a red card one minute after Pickering’s goal, and the team was forced to play with 10 men. Princeton quickly capitalized on the man advantage, scoring goals in the 40th and 45th minutes to even the score before halftime.

The Tigers outshot Dartmouth in the second half 10-2, but backup goalkeeper Chris Palacios ’21 made three saves to keep the game tied. The game went to overtime, where Dartmouth had four shots on goal to Princeton’s one, but neither team found the back of the net. The game ended as a 2-2 draw.

Dartmouth, who moved to 2-4-3 and 0-0-1 in Ivy play, travels to Burlington, Vermont for a non-conference game at the University of Vermont on Tuesday before returning home to continue Ivy League play against Yale University on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. at Burnham Field.

Field Hockey

The Dartmouth field hockey team picked up its first win of Ivy League play against Brown University at home on Saturday by a score of 4-2. After falling behind to the Bears (3-6 overall, 0-2 Ivy) early in the first half, a goal by Carmen Braceras ’20 tied the game 1-1 heading into halftime. Less than two minutes into the second half, the Big Green pulled ahead with a goal by Katie Spanos ’20, giving them a lead they would maintain for the rest of the game. Goals by Cecelia Monnin ’22 and Jocelyn Wulf ’20 sealed Dartmouth’s win despite a second half offensive blitz by the Bears, including 13 shots, one of which was netted by junior Hannah Leckey. 

The Big Green currently sits 4-4 overall and 1-1 in league play, and will look to record another Ivy League win next week Saturday against the University of Pennsylvania at home.

Volleyball

Dartmouth volleyball traveled to New York this weekend and lost to both Columbia University (23-25, 25-23, 20-25, 18-25) and Cornell University (19-25, 18-25, 13-25), falling to 5-8 overall and 1-2 in Ivy League play. 

The Big Green began their away stand on Friday at Columbia, where the fourth-ranked Lions edged past Dartmouth in four sets. Columbia’s Chichi Ikwuazom and Emily Teehan’s combined 33 kills proved too much for the Big Green to overcome, despite a team-leading 16 kills and 2 aces from Mallen Bischoff ’21. Missing libero Zoe Leonard ’19, the Big Green turned to Bella Hedley ’22 to hold down the defense, and she led with 13 digs on the match to go along with a team-high six blocks from Francesca Meldrum ’22. Setter Corinne Cox ’20 added 19 assists to bolster the Big Green’s efforts, but the Lions still came out on top. 

Following their loss to Columbia, the Big Green traveled to Ithaca to face the second-ranked Big Red, who swept the Big Green in three sets. Dartmouth struggled offensively against the Big Red, hitting .063 on the match. After coming out strong, the Big Green lost steam in the second half of the first set, and could never regain enough momentum to win a set. Elise Petit ’21 and Annemarie Horn ’22 led the Big Green’s offense, with six kills and 14 assists, respectively. Nicole Liddle ’22 led the defense with 13 digs in her first game back after she was sidelined by an ankle injury against Harvard University last week. 

The Big Green will look to bounce back next weekend at home against Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania.

Sailing

This weekend, the Dartmouth sailing team competed in two races, the Jen Harris Women’s Showcase Regatta at the United States Naval Academy and the Danmark Trophy Interconference Regatta at the United States Coast Guard Academy. 

At the Jen Harris Women’s, the Big Green finished third of 17 teams. Dartmouth’s A and B teams scored a combined 108 points, 20 points behind first place finisher, Cornell University. 

At the Danmark Trophy, Dartmouth finished ninth of 20 teams. The Big Green finished with a combined A and B team score of 88 points, 25 points behind first place finishers Stanford University.

Next weekend, the team will be competing in the Coed Showcase at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the Hewitt Trophy at home and the Stu Nelson Trophy at Colby College.

Football

The football team picked up its third win of the season and 700th in program history with a dominant 37-14 victory over the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday. 

The Quakers (2-1, 0-1 Ivy) kept the game close in the first half, but the Big Green (3-0, 1-0 Ivy) began to pull away by scoring on four straight offensive possessions in the second half. Up 13-7 at halftime, Dartmouth scored early in the third quarter on a 59-yard touchdown pass from Derek Kyler ’21 to Drew Hunnicutt ’19. After the defense forced a three and out, the Big Green offense went on an 11-play, 66-yard drive resulting in another passing touchdown from Kyler. An interception by Bun Straton ’19 placed Dartmouth at the Penn 26-yard line. Six plays later, Kyler threw his third touchdown of the quarter on a four-yard pass to Jake Guidone ’20.

The Dartmouth defense held Penn to only 128 passing yards. The team has given up 28 total points over the first three games, and opponents are averaging 188.3 offensive yards per game.

Kyler finished the game with a completion rate of 85.7 percent and 221 yards in addition to three touchdown passes. Hunnicutt was the team’s leading receiver, posting five receptions for 100 yards.

Dartmouth will look to continue its winning streak as the team travels to play Yale University, the defending Ivy League champions, on Friday.

W Golf

This weekend, the women’s golf team traveled to Princeton to compete in the 12-team Princeton Invitational. The Big Green finished 11th on the first day of competition with a team score of 316 (+28). Moon Cheong ’21 provided the team’s low score with 6-over 78, good for a share of 34th place. 

On the second day, Dartmouth improved by two strokes but fell to last place, finishing the weekend with a team score of 630 (+54). Kaitlyn Lees ’22 had the low score for the Big Green on the second day of play, improving her score by five strokes from her first round of play. 

The team will travel to Providence, Rhode Island in two weeks to compete in the Brown Invitational. 

W Tennis

This past weekend, the women’s tennis team played in the three-day Bulldog Invitational, hosted by Yale University at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center.

On Friday, the team started the invitational by playing Brown University. Dartmouth won three of the 10 matches played. The pairing of Jingyi Peng ’22 and Nicole Conard ’22 looked strong in a 6-1 victory that resulted in Dartmouth’s only doubles victory of the day, while the two singles victories came from Chuyang Guan ’20, who cruised to a 6-4, 6-1 win, and Nina Paripovic ’22, who came out on top in a super tiebreaker 6-3, 5-7 (10-5).

The team rebounded on Saturday by winning seven of ten matches against Boston University. The team of Guan and Paripovic narrowly won its doubles match by a score of 7-6 (7) over the Terriers’ Sabrina Faybyshev and Clara Falxa, and each later went on to win in straight sets during the singles’ session of the match.

Dartmouth finished the invitational on Sunday by taking on Harvard University for the third time in two weeks. The Crimson defeated the Big Green in six of the nine matches played this time around. Dartmouth’s lone doubles victory came from Abigail Chiu ’21 and Madison Hwang ’21, who cruised to a 6-2 victory over Harvard’s Rachel Eason and Natasha Gonzalez.

The team of Chiu and Hwang will travel to Malibu, California and represent Dartmouth at the ITA All-America Tournament on Tuesday.