The Weekend Roundup: Week 4

Rugby

The Dartmouth women’s rugby team won all five of their matches this past Saturday to finish first at the Ivy 7s Championship. Dartmouth competed against five other Ivy League teams and unseated two-time champion Harvard University to claim the title. This was a follow-up of Dartmouth’s first place showing at the Brown 7s tournament last weekend. Frankie Sands ’18 was voted one of the MVPs of the tournament along with Princeton’s Jessica Lu, as determined by the tournament’s head coaches. Sands would record six tries for 30 total points, while teammate Lilly Durbin ’21 would finish with seven tries and three conversions for 41 total points. Dartmouth won its first three matches with scores of 29-14, 31-7 and 33-7, before scoring a dominating 69 unanswered points in the team’s last two matches against Brown University and Harvard. Dartmouth will compete at the Bowdoin Polar Bear 7s tournament next weekend.

Track & Field

In their first home outdoor event of the season, the men’s track team beat their three opponents on Friday, Apr. 13. The Big Green had a final score of 183, the University of Massachusetts Lowell had a score of 150, the University of Vermont had a score of 134 points and University of Hartford finished with 94 points.   The Big Green took the top six spots of the 800-meter dash. Dartmouth also took the top three spots in the 110-meter hurdles and the 400-meter hurdles, as well as first and second in the 1500-meters. Colin Minor ’18 had an excellent throw in hammer with 201-01.0/61.29m. His throw bested the field by almost 46 feet and should qualify him for NCAAs in May. The next home meet at Memorial Field will be the New England Championship in May. The Big Green will return next weekend in Charlottesville, VA for the Virginia Challenge on Friday, April 20 and Saturday, April 21.

The Dartmouth women’s track team hosted three opponents on Friday, Apr. 13 at Memorial Field. This was the first home meet of the outdoor season, and the Big Green won with 193 points. The University of Massachusetts Lowell came in second with 129 points, the University of Vermont finished third with 125 points and the University of Hartford came in last with 101 points. Eleven events were won by Dartmouth athletes; ten of these were for individual performances and one was for a relay team of four. The Big Green took the first three places in the hammer throw and the first five in the pole vault events. The team also took first through fourth and sixth places in the 800-meter run. Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 won both the 100-meter dash and the long jump, scoring a total of 18 points for the Big Green. Dartmouth will next host the New England Championship in May. Next Friday and Saturday, Dartmouth will compete in the Virginia Challenge in Charlottesville, VA.

Women's Lacrosse

The women’s lacrosse team lost against the No. 2 in the country, Boston College, on Wednesday, Apr. 11. Katie Borque ’20, Campbell Brewer ’19, Ellie Carson ’20 and Kierra Sweeney ’19 each scored two goals for the Big Green. Although Dartmouth was briefly in the lead 5-4, this quickly changed when BC scored seven points in a row. Dartmouth caught up with 9:48 remaining to make it a one point game, but the Eagles stayed strong and won their 15th game of the season. On Saturday, Apr. 14, the Big Green beat Cornell in Ithaca by a margin of 19-10. Dartmouth, now ranked 17th, is 8-2 overall and 4-1 in the Ivies. Carson scored five goals. Goalie Kiera Vrindten ’20 saved 14 shots total, a season-high. Kathryn Giroux ’19 had six draw controls, making her within five of being the first in the program to make 200 over her career. Dartmouth will play again on Wednesday against the University of Vermont, this time at home. They will also play in Hanover on Saturday, Apr. 21 against Yale.

Men's Lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team fell to the University of Massachusetts Lowell for their last non-conference game on Wednesday, Apr. 10. The thrilling game went into double overtime but Dartmouth fell 9-8. Alex Burnley ’21 posted a career-high 14 saves. The Big Green also fell to Princeton 24-13 on Saturday, Apr. 14 at Sherrerd Field in New Jersey. This was the Tigers’ first conference win of the year. They now stand at 6-5 overall and 1-3 in the Ivies while Dartmouth dropped to 2-9 overall and 0-4 Ivy. Jack Korzelius ’18, Richie Loftus ’18 and Liam O’Connell ’20 all scored three points each for the Big Green. Heading into the second quarter, the Tigers clung on to a 4-3 lead, but they took off and never looked back by scoring nine goals before the game ended. On Saturday, April 21 the Big Green will play its last home game of the season against the University of Pennsylvania, after which the team will honor the six seniors on the team: Willis Bocock ’18, Jase Davis ’18, Evan Key ’18, Korzelius, Loftus and Steve Satterthwaite ’18.

Lightweight Rowing

The ninth-ranked Lightweight rowing team faced second-ranked Harvard University and 12th-ranked Massachusetts Institute of Technology this past Saturday in Boston for the Biglin Bowl. The competition was stiff and Harvard managed to sweep all races to win the regatta. The Crimson have won this event every year since 2009. The first varsity boat finished eight seconds behind Harvard with a time of 5:53.49 and placed one second ahead of MIT. The second varsity boat finished ten seconds behind the Crimson and half a second ahead of MIT with a time of 6:09.58. Harvard would race three boats in the third varsity match, with all three placing ahead of the Big Green.

On Sunday, the men fell to No. 13 Mercyhurst College at home. The first varsity boat finished three seconds behind Mercyhurst, with a time of 5:35.87. However, Dartmouth’s second varsity boat came close to overtaking Mercyhurst’s second boat, falling by half a second, with a time of 5:37.00. Dartmouth’s third boat came in about 20 seconds behind the rest of the competition, with a time of 5:57.91.

Heavyweight Rowing

The eighth-ranked Dartmouth heavyweight rowing team hosted ninth-ranked Boston University in Hanover this past Saturday and took home a victory over the Terriers to win the Bill Cup for the second consecutive year. The varsity four placed eight seconds ahead of the Terriers crew. The third varsity eights raced next, placing ahead of BU by six seats. The second varsity boat also placed ahead of the Terriers by five seconds with a time of 5:26.92. The first varsity eight overcame an early deficit to place ahead by two seconds. Dartmouth travels to Brown next weekend for the Atlalanta Cup.

Baseball

Baseball hosted the University of Massachusetts Lowell this past Tuesday. In a game that was marked by errors and weather delays, the River Hawks came away with the victory by a score of 12-8. Dartmouth kept it competitive in the early stages of the game with a home run by Bennett McCaskill ’21, but UMass Lowell would storm ahead thanks to a grand slam in the fifth inning to take the lead 10-2. Dartmouth would attempt to come back in the eighth inning, scoring four runs, but would ultimately fall short. The Big Green would then travel to Ithaca, New York for a three-game series against Cornell University. In the early game, Cole O’Connor ’19 threw for seven innings, in which Cornell only recorded two runs, handing Dartmouth  a 4-2 win. Dartmouth would end up splitting the Saturday games with an 8-3 loss in the late game. Dartmouth would not score a run until the eighth inning off of an RBI double by McCaskill and a home run by Kyle Holbrook ’18, which weren’t enough to close the gap. In the rubber match against Cornell on Sunday, the Big Green took home another victory 5-3. Pitcher Jack Fossand ’18 allowed just two runs on four hits to keep the Big Green in the lead during the game. Dartmouth travels to Boston College on Wednesday before visiting Yale University for a three-game series next weekend.

Softball

The Dartmouth Softball team hosted two games this weekend against Cornell University, after the team’s Tuesday matchup against the College of the Holy Cross was canceled due to inclement weather. Dartmouth’s weekend started with a sweep of Cornell in a doubleheader on Saturday. The early game featured some big hitting by the Big Green, with Morgan Martinelli ’19, Schae Nelson ’21, Micah Schroder ’20 and Taylor Ward ’19 each recording a home run in the third inning to give Dartmouth a 4-0 lead. With four consecutive home runs, the team set an Ivy League record for most consecutive home runs. Dartmouth would hold on to that lead with a final score of 8-4. In the afternoon game, Dartmouth scored five runs in the first inning. Cornell would not respond until the seventh inning, scoring two runs to close the game for a 7-2 Dartmouth victory. Shelby Wilkison ’21 pitched the entire second game, holding Cornell to five hits, with three of those coming in the seventh inning. Sunday’s game against Cornell was postponed to Tuesday due to inclement weather.

Sailing

The sailing team competed in the Thompson Trophy, in which the Big Green finished 13th of 18 teams with a total of 344 points. In Division A, the Big Green, led by Alyssa Berger ’19 and Jack McGraw ’20, finished 14th with a score of 143 points. In Division B, Dartmouth, led by Mary Amis ’19 and Timothy Greenhouse ’21, came in seventh with 99 points. In Division C, the Big Green, composed of Sarah Chong ’21 and Max Clapp ’21, came in seventh place with a total of 102 points.

Next weekend the sailing team will compete in four regattas: the Admiral’s Cup, Boston Dinghy Cup, Morris Trophy and Reed Trophy. 

W Golf

Women’s Golf traveled to Hartford, Connecticut on Saturday to compete in the Hartford Invitational at the Tumble Brook Country Club. The Big Green placed third out of 10 teams, nine strokes behind Fairleigh Dickinson University and Sacred Heart University. The two leading scorers for Dartmouth were Jessica Kittelberger ’18 and Maddie Nelson ’20, both of whom scored two-over 74 on the day. Kittelberger finished the front nine at even par, with one bogey on the third hole and a birdie on the fifth hole. Kittelberger would make par seven times on the back nine and finish two over par. Nelson would finish the front nine at one over par while netting two birdies, one bogey and one double-bogey to finish two over par for the day. The second round of the tournament on Sunday was canceled due to inclement weather. 

Men's Tennis

The men’s team defeated Cornell 4-2 at the Reis Tennis Center on Saturday, improving to 17-5 overall and 3-1 in Ivy League play. Charlie Broom ’20 and David Horneffer ’20 won their set 7-5, but Dartmouth ultimately dropped the doubles point after Cornell secured victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles positions. The Big Green rallied back with three straight singles victories from Horneffer, Dan Martin ’21 and Max Fliegner ’18. Broom’s victory in the No. 1 position clinched the title for Dartmouth. 

On Sunday, the No. 32 men’s tennis team defeated No. 15 Columbia University in a thrilling 4-3 victory. Despite close doubles matches midway, Columbia swept all three matches to clinch the lead 1-0. After Peter Conklin ’21 and Ciro Riccardi ’18 dropped their single matches early on, Columbia was leading 3-0. With straight victories from Broom, Fliegner, Horneffer and Martin in the final four singles matches of day, the Big Green was able to pull off the close victory. 

The team will host University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University next weekend to wrap up the regular season.

Women's Tennis

The women’s team beat Cornell 5-2, improving to 9-10 overall and 2-2 in Ivy League play. Julia Schroeder ’18 and Abigail Chiu ’21 started off with a 6-3 victory in the No. 1 doubles spot, while Kristina Mathis ’18 and Racquel Lyn ’20 followed with a 6-2 win at the No. 2 spot to put Dartmouth ahead going into singles. Chiu continued her strong play, winning her set 6-2 at the No. 3 spot to put the Big Green up 2-0. Madison Hwang ’21 took the No. 5 spot, while Mathis came out on top in the No. 1 spot to secure the Big Green’s victory. 

On Sunday, the women’s tennis team defeated Columbia University 5-2. Dartmouth secured the doubles point with victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, and Lyn’s win at the No. 3 singles spot clinched the fourth point for Dartmouth. The team will host University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University next weekend to wrap up the regular season.