Week 7: The Weekend Roundup

Katharine Ogden '21 took topped the podium in both women's Nordic races.

Skiing

For the first time in eight years, the Big Green took home first place over the University of Vermont at the Dartmouth Carnival, winning by 99 points and securing the team win in six of eight events this weekend.

On day one, the Big Green dominated the competition and walked away with three individual wins and team victories in three of four events. Foreste Peterson ’18 won the women’s giant slalom with Claire Thomas ’21 and Kelly Moore ’18 coming in fourth and seventh, respectively. On the men’s side, Tanguy Nef ’20 and Brian McLaughlin ’18 finished in first and second, respectively. In the women’s 5-kilometer classic, Katharine Ogden ’21, Lauren Jortberg ’20, Taryn Hunt-Smith ’19 and Emily Hyde ’19 almost swept the podium, finishing in first, second, fourth and fifth, respectively. Dartmouth went into day two with a 75-point lead over the Catamounts and 147-point lead over Middlebury College.

Ogden, Jortberg and Hunt-Smith continued to perform well going into day two, as they finished first, second and fourth, respectively, in the women’s 10-kilometer freestyle. Callan DeLine ’18 finished second in the men’s 10-kilometer freestyle, followed by Adam Glueck ’21 and Gavin McEwen ’19 in fifth and sixth, respectively.

The Big Green looks ahead to this weekend where it will compete in the Williams College Carnival.

Squash

No. 5 men’s squash beat No. 13 Brown University 7-2 on Friday and No. 9 Yale University 6-3 on Sunday. The Big Green started off strong against Brown, with James Bell ’21, Matt Giegerich ’19, co-captain Jack Harvey ’18, co-captain Alvin Heumann ’18 and Sam Supattapone ’21 all winning their first-round matches in quick succession. In the second round, the Big Green went 3-2 against the Bears, with Brian Giegerich ’18, Brandon De Otaduy Nam ’20 and Carson Spahr ’19 coming away with victories, 3-0, 3-0 and 3-1, respectively. 

This Sunday, the men celebrated senior day with a 6-3 win over Yale, ending the final regular season before team championships starts in two weeks. Matt Giegerich started the Big Green off strong by winning three straight games 11-8, 11-6 and 11-8 over Yale’s Max Martin, with teammates Harvey and Sam Epley ’19 both winning in four and three games, respectively. Of the 10 matches played, the Big Green swept seven of the individual matches. 

The men will have a two-week break then travel to Trinity College to play in the men’s national championships. 

Women’s squash similarly defeated No. 10 Brown 6-3 on Friday but lost to No. 5 Yale 9-0 on Sunday. The match against the Bears began with victories in the first round from Charis Freiman-Mendel ’19, Ellie Gozigian ’21 and Julia Potter ’20. In the second round, the bottom of the lineup had similar success, with victories from Brynn Bank ’21, Janel Gaube ’18 and Emma Roberts ’19.

In final regular season matchup, the Bulldogs completely swept all of the matches against the Big Green. The closest matches came from Gaube and Potter, who took their matches to five games, but unfortunately, they could not able to capitalize on the momentum. 

The women will travel to Harvard University this weekend to play in the women’s team national championships.

Tennis

The men’s tennis team remained a force to be reckoned with as the undefeated season continues with a win over the University of Minnesota 5-2, Rice University 4-0 and Bryant University 4-0. On Friday, as in the six previous matches this season, Dartmouth won the doubles point, winning two of three matches. In the battle between the two nationally ranked teams, No. 19 David Horneffer ’20 and Charlie Broom ’20 beat Minnesota’s No. 26 Matic Spec and Felix Corwin by a score of 6-3. In singles, Broom dropped his first match, but the Big Green went on to win four of six of the singles matches. 

On Sunday, the Big Green beat both Rice and Bryant improving its record to 9-0 for the team’s best start to its spring season since 2007. To start, the Big Green came away with the doubles point after the No. 2 and No. 3 teams defeated its Rice opponents by 6-3. In singles, Peter Conklin ’21, Dan Martin ’21 and Ciro Riccardi ’18 won their matches. Later that day, the Big Green swept all three of the doubles matches to secure the doubles point and Conklin, Horneffer and John Speicher ’21 swept all three completed singles matches. 

In hopes of continuing its streak, the men will head to New Haven this weekend for the three-day Eastern College Athletic Conference Indoor Championship. 

This past weekend, the women played in the ECAC Championship and finished second, falling to Princeton University in the final. The No. 2 seeded Big Green took down No. 7 Columbia University in the semifinals of the ECAC Championship on Friday, winning by a score of 4-1. The women swept two of the doubles matches to win the doubles point, and three of four completed singles matches led by Abigail Chiu ’21, Chuyang Guan ’20 and Racquel Lyn ’20. The following day, in the semifinal match, the women defeated Cornell University 4-1. Despite Lyn and co-captain Kristina Mathis ’18 winning their doubles match, the Big Red picked up the doubles point after sweeping the other two matches. Regardless, the Big Green swept all four of the completed singles matches to advance to the finals. 

On Sunday, the Tigers proved to be too dominant for the Big Green as they swept all but one completed match in both the doubles and singles matchups. The exception was Guan’s single where she defeated Princeton’s Tiffany Chen 6-3 and 6-2.

The women will have a two-week break and prepare to play Duke University on Feb. 25.

Ice Hockey

The men’s team handily defeated Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 7-3 on Friday night. RPI scored first, but this lead was quickly erased with the efforts of Will Graber ’20, who scored two goals in the first period with the assistance of Quin Foreman ’21, River Rymsha ’18 and Shane Sellar ’20. Graber followed up in the second with his third goal, assisted by Sellar, who followed with two of his own goals in the second period assisted by Foreman, Graber and Jamie McLaughlin ’20. Collin Rutherford ’21 and Cam Strong ’20 scored the remaining goals for the Big Green, with Graber and Sellar both finishing with the first five-point night for Dartmouth men’s hockey players since 2010.

Dartmouth found much less success on Saturday against Union College with a 2-1 loss. Coming off of the previous night’s win, the Big Green may have been a little tired of scoring, converting on just one of 36 shots all night. The team stayed in the game until the end thanks to tough defense and 14 team blocked shots. Goalie Adrian Clark ’20 saw 20 shots get past the defense; he had a 90 percent save rate on the night.

The men, now 10-13-2 overall and 8-9-1 in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference, will continue play this weekend as they host Clarkson University and St. Lawrence University. 

The women’s team faced RPI as well on Friday, finishing in overtime with a 1-1 tie. Dartmouth’s lone goal of the night was scored in the second period by Tess Bracken ’19, assisted by Megan Cornell ’21 and Sabrina Huett ’20. The Engineers equalized three minutes later. Goalie Christine Honor ’19 preserved the tie in overtime despite a 5-1 shot on goal differential in favor of the Engineers, finishing the game with 42 saves in total. 

The team had another nail-biter against Union on Saturday, sending the game into overtime before concluding senior night in a 2-2 tie. While Union was the first to score in the second period, Alyssa Baker ’19 responded a few minutes later, with a goal off an assist by Kate Landers ’19 and Linda Essery ’21. Late into the third period the Big Green was down by one goal and co-captain Hailey Noronha ’18 netted the tying goal in the third period, assisted by Bracken to send the game into overtime. 

The highlight of senior night for all of the players took place at the outset of the match. Brooke Ahbe ’18, who was forced to retire at the end of the 2016-2017 season due to struggles with concussions, found herself in the spotlight one final time. The team wanted to let her finish her career with one final shift, so Ahbe took the first shift of the game at left wing. 

The women will close the season out this weekend against Clarkson and St. Lawrence.

Track and Field

The women’s and men’s track and field teams split up this weekend, with some athletes competing in the Fastrack Invitational in Staten Island on Friday and others competing in the Valentine’s Invitational in Boston on Saturday. In the Fastrack Invitational on Friday, Ethan Ruh ’20 finished third overall in shot put with a throw of 15.55 meters, a little more than two meters shorter than first-place Texas A&M University-Kingsville’s Richard Cervantes’ mark. In the men’s long jump, Ben Colello ’18 and Matthew Sindelar ’18 finished with jumps of 6.19m and 6.00m, taking fifth and seventh, respectively, in their flight, and 35th and 40th overall.  

On the women’s side, Kayla Gilding ’19 and Danielle Okonta ’20 took sixth and 11th in the 400-meter dash with times of 58.08 seconds and 58.62s, respectively. Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 tied her own school record with a time of 8.30s in the 60-meter hurdles to take first and won the 200-meter dash in 24.07s. Julia Valenti ’20 finished first in the pole vault, clearing 3.90m.

At the Valentine’s Invitational in Boston with equally impressive results. Zachary Plante ’18 finished 15th in the 500-meter dash with a time of 1:05.71. Pat Gregory ’18 and Miles Irish ’18 finished 22nd and 29th, respectively, in the mile in a pool of over 350 entries. On the women’s side, Claire Dougherty ’20 took sixth in the 500-meter dash with a time of 1:15.44. Georgia Fear ’20 and Lauren Archer ’20 took 15th and 16th, respectively, in the 1,000-meter run.

Basketball

The men’s basketball team lost a heartbreaker on Friday against the University of Pennsylvania 64-61, but earned its first conference win of the season against Princeton University 72-56 on Saturday. 

Going into the half of the game against Penn, the two teams were relatively evenly matched, with the Quakers holding a mere 27-24 lead. Offensively, Penn fared better than the Big Green. Dartmouth only made eight of 37 field goals in the first half, but boasted a perfect shooting percentage from the foul line. Dartmouth held a six-point lead near the end of the first half, but this was erased by Penn’s 11-2 scoring run in the last 3:44. Led by Will Emery ’20’s 14 points and 12 rebounds and co-captain Miles Wright ’18’s 16 points, the Big Green was able to stay within reach for most of the game. However, the men fell short at the end, despite scoring the same number of points in the second half as Penn did, 

On Saturday, however, things went very differently for the Big Green. Led by Taylor Johnson ’18’s 21 points and Adrease Jackson ’21’s 16 points, the Big Green throttled Princeton 72-56, marking the first win for the team in 2018. In the first half, the Dartmouth defense shut down Princeton’s conference leading three-point percentage, while the Big Green’s offense matched that of the Tigers, coming into the midpoint of the game down 26-25. In the second half, however, the Dartmouth offense dominated, shooting 14 of 25 on field goals and five of eight on three pointers. 

The men will look to build upon Saturday’s success this weekend at home as they host Yale University on Friday and Brown University on Saturday.

The women’s basketball team faced similar difficulties in its games against Penn and Princeton falling to the Quakers 65-47 on Friday and to the Tigers 82-63 on Saturday. Scoring in the first half was slow for the Big Green in Friday’s game, with only nine of the 30 shots taken by the team going in. This, combined with good shooting by the Quakers, meant that Penn entered halftime with a 14-point lead, which was further extended with a 6-0 run to start the second. Going into the final few seconds of the game, the Big Green managed to get within 18 points of Penn but could not get closer. Dartmouth’s scoring was led by Annie McKenna ’20 with nine points followed by Kate Letkewicz ’18’s eight and Isalys Quiñones ‘19’s seven.

The women also fell to Princeton, bringing the team to 12-9 overall and 4-4 in conference play. The Big Green improved quite a bit in its offensive game and was led by co-captain Emily Slagle ’18 who contributed 18 points with Letkewicz adding another 12. The women struggled to get going as the Tigers outscored the Big Green eight to 22 in the first period and in the second half. However, the women shot a respectable 75 percent from the free throw line. 

The women will look to close out regular season play leading up to the Ivy League Tournament this weekend when it plays Yale and Brown.