The Weekend Roundup: Week 6

Volleyball

This weekend, the volleyball team lost a three-set match to Yale University but turned it around with a sweep over Brown University, moving its record to 7-9 overall and 3-4 in the Ivy League. On Friday, the Big Green traveled to New Haven, Connecticut to start off its weekend. The two teams tied five times during the first set before Yale was able to pull away with a 13-7 lead. Dartmouth had an impressive rally to bring the score to 13-11, but the Bulldogs bounced back to win 25-16. The second set of the night was even more contentious as Yale took an early lead (13-7) only for the Big Green to come back and tie the game. The two tied four more times until the score was locked at 20-20, but the Bulldogs were able to take a 25-21 victory. In the final set, Yale took an 11-3 advantage early on, and while Dartmouth worked hard to come back from behind, the team fell 25-14. Despite the outcome, Carly Tower ’20 recorded six kills and Tori Dozier ’20 had an impressive 13 digs and 24 assists. 

The team returned to Hanover with a mission on Saturday against Brown. Kills by Mallen Bischoff ’21 and Morgan Dressel ’18 set the Big Green apart from the Bears during the first set, with Bischoff and Samantha Bozoian ’19 helping to close a 25-16 win. Dartmouth continued its success in the second set with a well-earned 25-14 victory. The final set of the day went back and forth and the two teams found themselves tied 18-18. With a Brown error and a kill by Elise Petit ’21, Dartmouth pulled away with a 25-19 win. Dozier recorded 26 assists and 10 digs, while Lauren Douglas ’21 led the team with 15 digs. Bozoian led the team with nine kills, and Bischoff followed closely with eight kills. This weekend, the team will take on Harvard University on Friday, Oct. 20 at Leede Arena.

Women’s Rowing

The women’s rowing team successfully opened its 2017-2018 season by winning every event it entered at the inaugural Hadley Chase hosted by the University of Massachusetts, Amherst on the Connecticut River. Dartmouth started its day by sweeping the 2- race, in which two rowers compete without a coxswain. The A boat finished at 19:53.8, the C boat finished at 20:40.3 and the B boat at 21:05.5. The D boat finished fourth at 21:26.4, a full 16 seconds before Marist College’s A boat crossed the finish line. In the varsity 4+, which consists of a four-person boat and a coxswain, the A boat was victorious once again, finishing first at 19:26.6, while the B boat pulled in fourth at 19:44.7 and the C boat came in eighth at 20:44.4. 

The A boat’s winning streak continued into the varsity 8+, as they came in first at 17:39.3. The C team followed in fourth at 18:27.6, and the D boat fifth at 18:39.5 while the B boat finished in seventh at 18:53.0. The A boat also won the varsity 8+ 500-meter dash with a time of 1:38.6. Fordham University came close in second at 1:41.7, while Dartmouth’s C boat pulled into third place at 1:45.0. The novice team made its collegiate debut in the 8+ by placing first at 17:56.1, an impressive two minutes ahead of second place Tufts University. The team will race again this Saturday and Sunday at the Head of the Charles in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Men’s Tennis

Men’s tennis hosted the Dartmouth Invite this weekend, which featured Binghamton University, Boston University, Brown University, the United States Military Academy and Yale University.

Dartmouth opened tournament play on Friday with 10 singles matches, of which the men won eight. Max Fliegner ’18, Eddie Grabill ’19 and Casey Ross ’21 did not give up more than two points a set. Peter Conklin ’21 had the closest victory of the day battling with Kushaan Nath of Binghamton, taking the final set 7-5 after an even first two sets 7-6, 3-6. Ciro Riccardi ’18 had a tight match himself, pulling off a 7-6, 6-4 win against Valentin Bouchet of Binghamton.

The Big Green continued its successful weekend Saturday, recording a 16-1 record on the day. Each doubles pair won both their matches on the day, leading a complete sweep on the doubles end. Of note was the dynamic duo of Roko Glasnovic ’19 and Dan Martin ’21 who cruised to an 8-0 victory against Brown. Rookies Conklin and John Speicher ’21 eked out an 8-7 win in a hard-fought match against the duo of Andrew Heller and Nathan Brown from Yale. Later in the day, the Big Green put in a commanding 8-1 performance in singles competition. Speicher had a 6-1, 6-1 victory, while Grabill, Fliegner and Martin all turned in three-set victories. Against Andrew Hiller, Fliegner lost the first set badly 1-6 but managed to string together two strong sets, 6-3 and an especially close 7-5 set, to seal the win.

The Big Green wrapped up play on Sunday, winning three doubles matches and seven singles matches. The team will travel to Yale this week for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Northeast Regional Championship.

Football

Another game, another late comeback from Big Green football. After two late key interceptions, Dartmouth defeated Sacred Heart University 29-26 at Fairfield, Connecticut. This marks the team’s fourth straight game with a victory margin of three points or fewer.

The game started just as the previous game had been won, as quarterback Jack Heneghan ’18 connected with Drew Hunnicutt ’19 for a 78-yard touchdown completion on the first play of the game. Hunnicutt had a banner day, with three catches for a career-high 126-yards.

Over the rest of the first quarter and into the second, the two teams traded touchdowns. The Pioneers’ quarterback, Kevin Duke, found fellow senior Byron Barney with a 16-yard touchdown less than four minutes after the Big Green scored. Dartmouth answered by the end of the quarter with a five-yard touchdown catch from running back Ryder Stone ’18, but first-year Sacred Heart wide receiver Ezekiel Ennis secured a 31-yard touchdown of his own to even the score at 14-all early in the second quarter.

Sacred Heart rode the momentum through the second half, capitalizing on a 20-yd touchdown pass from Jordan Meachum and two field goals from kicker Josh Freiria. Isiah Swann ’20 made things interesting by blocking Freiria’s extra point attempt after Meachum’s touchdown, but Dartmouth could not make it back to the opposite endzone. 

With 5:30 left in the third quarter, Dartmouth was down 26-14. From there, Heneghan and Emory Thompson ’18 led the offensive surge. After a punt return from Dylan Mellor ’19, the Big Green were stopped at third and goal at the two-yard line. Head Coach Buddy Teevens ’79 decided to go for the touchdown, and it paid off as Heneghan found Thompson in the end zone, closing the gap to five points.

On Dartmouth’s first possession of the fourth, Heneghan hit Thompson again on the first and last plays of the drive, culminating in a five-yard touchdown grab to give the Big Green the lead with just over 12 minutes to go. The touchdown pass from Heneghan led to a 14-of-21 record for the day and 247 passing yards. Hunnicutt reeled in a two-point conversion to bring the lead to 29-26.

The Pioneers made a strong push, getting the ball to Dartmouth’s eight-yard line with 3:37 to play. On the next play, safety Kyran McKinney-Crudden ’18 was in the right place at the right time, with a timely pick at the two-yard line to halt the threat. A holding penalty and a sack followed by a game-winning interception by Jack Traynor ’19 during Sacred Heart’s next possession sealed the win for the Big Green.

The win continues Dartmouth’s resilient 5-0 start, the second time in the past three years. Next weekend, Dartmouth takes on Columbia University, the only other undefeated Ivy League program, at home. Kickoff is Saturday at 12:30 p.m.

Cross Country

This weekend at the NCAA Pre-National Invitational at E.P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park in Louisville, Kentucky, the Dartmouth men’s cross country team finished 38th of 41 with 910 points against a nationally-competitive field of teams, including Brigham Young University, the University of Colorado and the University of Oregon.

Sander Kushen ’19 led the Big Green runners, completing the 8-kilometer course in 24:46.9 to place 137th. Miles Irish ’18 and Patrick O’Brien ’21 finished within three seconds of each other with times of 25:06.4 and 25:09.4, good for 179th and 181st place, respectively. The next scorer for the Big Green came from Ben Matejka ’21, 214th in 25:25.0. Sean Laverty ’19 completed the scoring quintet finishing 5.2 seconds behind Matejka in 25:30.2.

The men’s cross-country team will continue its preparation for the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships in two weeks. They will also send a team to New Britain, Connecticut, to compete in the Central Connecticut State University Short Course next weekend.

The women’s cross-country team faced off against a tough field of competitors this weekend at the Pennsylvania State University Nationals at State College, Pennsylvania. Despite the challenging field that included Villanova University, Dartmouth took third with a score of 122, only three points ahead of Ivy League rival Princeton University. Host school Penn State University led the way with a strong performance of 44 points.

Leading the Big Green on the 6-kilometer course was Olivia Lantz ’19 who finished in 13th-place with a time of 20:44. Leigh Moffett ’18 was just one second behind her in 16th with a time of 20:45.

Julia Stevenson ’20, who was in 20th as late as at the 2-mile mark, finished in 26th with a time of 21:06. Rounding out Big Green scorers were Ella Ketchum ’21 (21:10) in 29th and Glendora Murphy ’21 (21:19) in 38th. Murphy, who was in 49th place at the 2-mile mark, picked off 11 over the remainder of the race.

Lillian Anderson ’19 and Abby Livingston ’18 finished as the Big Green’s sixth and seventh runners. Anderson finished 42nd with a time of 21:22, while Livingston finished 56th in 21:37.

As with the men, the women will send a team to compete in the CCSU Short Course next week, while the rest of the team prepares for the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships in two weeks.

Rugby

No.1 Dartmouth won by forfeit against No. 9 Brown University on Saturday, leading to an automatic 28-0 victory for the Big Green as per NCAA rules. Brown opted not to show for the match, securing an undefeated regular season for Dartmouth. In two weekends, Dartmouth will square off against its league rivals in the Ivy Championship tournament at Brophy Field.

Field Hockey

Field hockey lost its second straight tilt Saturday at Yale University, falling 5-2. Yale took the early lead with goals from Carol Middough only 7:26 into the game and Lily Smith at the 19:47 mark. Dartmouth answered late in the half, as Carmen Braceras ’20 cut the deficit in half in the 33rd minute on an assist by Katie Spanos ’20.

The Bulldogs grabbed back a two-goal lead with another tally from Middough less than a minute into the second half. Katie Persin ’20 gave the Big Green another boost with her second goal of the year at 46:44, but Yale struck back 25 seconds later. This goal came on a penalty corner despite an initial save by goalie Emily Wechsler ’18, one of five saves for her on the day. Middough put the game further out of reach by completing a hat trick with under five minutes left.

In the second game, Dartmouth hosted non-conference Providence College in what was Wechsler’s first career game. Despite five total saves from Wechsler, Dartmouth could not generate enough offense to snag the victory. The first goal wasn’t scored until the 29th minute, when the Friars’ Izzy Mendez sunk her first of two goals on the day. Following goals from Mary O’Reilly and Mendez, Dartmouth was down 3-0 with only 11 minutes left.

Evie Bird ’19 capitalized on an assist from Spanos, her seventh helper of the year, in the final five minutes to give Dartmouth’s its first goal, but by then it was too late for a Big Green comeback. Dartmouth looks to get back on track with a home match against the University of New Hampshire on Wednesday.

Soccer

Men’s soccer (8-2-1, 2-0-1 Ivy) traveled to Philadelphia this Saturday and got an easy 4-0 win over the University of Pennsylvania. Despite a tough defensive game from the Quakers, who allowed four Big Green shots, the men made each opportunity count.

The Big Green drew an early lead just against the Quakers when Eduvie Ikoba ’19 scored off a pass by Dawson McCartney ’21, making the only goal of the first half. Dartmouth picked up its momentum in the second half with co-captain Tyler Dowse ’18 beginning the scoring for the Green and White. Dowse received a long ball from Henry Baldwin ’20 and beat the Penn keeper off the line.

McCartney got the next goal, beating a defender to hammer home a shot to the far post in the 81st minute. Ikoba finished off the Quakers just after the 83rd minute when he headed in a Justin Donawa ’19 corner.

The Quakers had no hope of catching up as keeper Christopher Palacios ’21 saved each of Penn’s three shots on goal. Heading into a Tuesday showdown with the University of New Hampshire, the Big Green has not lost a game since Sept. 4.

The women’s soccer team played a tough defensive match keeping Penn scoreless through 97 minutes of play. The Big Green sought a second consecutive victory after a 3-2 win against the College of the Holy Cross on Tuesday. With a fierce offensive strike led by co-captain Bianca Ribi ’18 with three shots and two shots on goal, the Big Green fired 15 shots at Penn’s sophomore keeper Kitty Qu. But Qu’s six saves kept the Quakers in the game, and the score was tied 0-0 by the end of the regulated 90 minutes.

The game-winning point came just after the 97-minute mark when Quaker senior Erica Higa volleyed the ball over the head of Mariel Gordon ’21. Despite the tough loss, Gordon made three saves to keep the Big Green in the game.

The defeat moves the Big Green to (6-8, 0-4 Ivy) as the team prepares to face Columbia University this Saturday.