The Weekday Roundup: Week 7

Equestrian

In its third weekend of the season, the equestrian team took first place at its home show on Sunday, beating out the University of Vermont and the University of New Hampshire. Dartmouth riders won high-point and reserve high-point honors in the process. Co-captain Claire Bick ’18 became high-point rider by placing first in her intermediate fences and open flat classes, and Sophie Lenihan ’20 claimed first in open fences and second in open flat respectively to earn reserve high-point honors. Co-captain Olivia Champ ’19 added to the blue ribbon count with a win in open flat. Sue Mohieldin ’19 won her walk-trot-canter class and qualified for regionals, while Sophia Kocher ’21 won the beginning walk-trot-canter. Sarah Cohen ’18 and Mahalia Dalmage ’21 were also victorious in intermediate and novice flat, respectively. Dartmouth also had a slew of second-place finishers. Elle MacAlpine ’18 and Shira Hornstein ’21 placed second in each of their novice flat classes, while Nancy Curtis ’21 came in second in the novice fences and Alex Chen ’20 was the runner-up in walk-trot. The Big Green remain in first place overall in Zone 1 Region 2.

Field Hockey

Field hockey improved its record to 7-8 overall this season with a 4-3 win against College of the Holy Cross on Tuesday. While rain persisted at Hart Turf Field, the team made a second-half comeback to beat the Crusaders. Holy Cross opened up scoring at the 11th minute only to be answered with an unassisted goal by Jocelyn Wulf ’20 less than two minutes later. The Big Green ended the first half down 2-1 and was outshot 8-5. Momentum shifted in the second half as Morgan Philie ’18 scored at 36:28 with an assist from Sarah Tabeek ’18. Five minutes later, at 41:10, Tatum Schultz ’21 gave Dartmouth the lead with a goal assisted by Katie Persin ’20. While Holy Cross was able to score at 47:37, Katie Spanos ’20 extended Dartmouth’s lead less than a minute later with the help of another Persin assist. Spanos is now tied for seventh in the Ivy League with eight goals. Goalkeeper Hailey Valerio ’19 made 10 saves in the win. Overall, the Big Green took 14 corners to the Crusaders’ eight and edged Holy Cross 15-14 in shots. The team looks to extend its three-game winning streak when it takes on Harvard University on the road on Saturday.

Sailing

The Big Green sailed at its own Mrs. Hurst Bowl and Northeastern University’s Oberg Trophy last weekend.

On Mascoma Lake, the 16 competing teams raced two races in a north-northwest breeze on Saturday and added three more races in a light southerly the next day. Audrey Giblin ’20 and Sophia Diserio ’18 won division B with one win and three third-place finishes. Emma White ’19 and Peninah Benjamin ’20 finished seventh in division A.

A westerly breeze on day one of the Oberg Trophy allowed for six races in all three divisions and an easterly breeze powered four more races on day two. Jack McGraw ’20 and Alyssa Berger ’19 sailed to a second-place finish in division A, finishing outside the top five on just two of the 10 races. In division B, Timothy Greenhouse ’21 and Mary Amis ’19 took third, while the trio of Kathryn Hall ’21, Max Clapp ’21 and Eloise Burn ’21 piloted Dartmouth to second place in division C. The Big Green totaled 145 points to win convincingly, 27 points better than second-place Tufts University.

Men's Soccer

Men’s soccer (9-3-1, 3-0-1 Ivy) was scheduled to face off against the University of Connecticut (7-5-2, 4-1-0 AAC) on Tuesday, but the game was postponed due to poor weather conditions. The Big Green’s season continues against conference fourth-place Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts on Saturday.