The Weekday Roundup: Week 5

Equestrian

This past weekend, the equestrian team opened its season with reserve championships at Middlebury College on Saturday and the University of Vermont on Sunday. At Middlebury, the team pulled out a strong performance with Sophie Lenihan ’20 and co-captain Olivia Champ ’19 finishing one-two during in open fences. Both riders excelled again in open flat as Champ took first and Lenihan placed second. In her collegiate debut, Mahalia Dalmage ’21 placed first in her crossrails class. Co-captain Claire Bick ’18 had a strong showing in novice fences class and won the event, qualifying for regionals and moving into the intermediate fences class as a result. Meghan Poth ’20 added to the Big Green’s performance with a blue ribbon in the intermediate fences and a second-place showing in the novice flat class. Poth joined Champ and Lenihan in the high point ride-off, where Dartmouth held three out of the four spots. Champ placed first, Lenihan second and Poth fourth, but the University of New Hampshire edged the Big Green by one point overall.

The team had another narrow second-place finish at Vermont, where the home team beat out Dartmouth by three points. Shira Hornstein ’21 finished as high point rider after claiming first place in novice fences and novice flat. Also in their Big Green debuts, Nancy Curtis ’21 took home a blue ribbon in novice fences and Sophia Kocher ’21 won her walk-trot-canter class. Poth took first in novice flat while Champ and Bick earned first and second respectively on the open flat.

Through two shows, the Big Green leads the Intercollegiate Horse Shows Association’s Zone 1 Region 2 with 10 points. The team will be competing next on Oct. 22 at Morton Farm.

Soccer

Women’s soccer (6-7, 0-3 Ivy) picked up a win against the College of the Holy Cross on Tuesday, grabbing a 3-2 victory in its final non-conference match of the regular season. The game marked the first time the two teams met since 1992. While the Big Green battled for possession with the Crusaders throughout the game, an early goal scored by co-captain Gia Parker ’18 put Dartmouth on the board just before the nine-minute mark. Holy Cross contested the goal a few minutes later when Carly Flahive made a close shot off a pass made from the side by Jenna Barnes. The Big Green regained the lead at the end of the first half as Alyssa Neuberger ’20 scored with a long shot outside the box off a cross made by Sally Sandoval ’19. Parker provided her second goal of the day midway though the second half on an assist from Neuberger and teammate Lauren Lucas ’19, who sent the ball from the corner. Although the Crusaders attempted to rally with a goal late in the game, the Big Green’s offensive attack outmatched them with 11 shots on goal and six corner kicks. On the defensive end, goalkeeper Mariel Gordon ’21 made three saves. The women will face the University of Pennsylvania this Saturday.