One-on-one with Remy Borinsky '19

With women’s soccer starting conference play with its first matchup against Brown University this weekend, The Dartmouth sat down with the team’s leading goal scorer, Remy Borinsky ’19. Borinsky looks to build on her sophomore campaign, in which she started all 16 games and took 31 shots, earning her First Team All-Ivy honors. In eight games this season, Borinsky has already scored four goals, up from her one goal last season. Her most recent came in a 3-1 loss against Northeastern University on Sept. 15.

What are the team’s expectations going forward?

RB: This is a harder out-of-conference schedule than in past years. We’re hoping that’ll help us once we get into Ivy League play. We want to do better. Last year we were last place, so we can only go up. We’re hoping that how we’re playing so far will translate over to the next few games. Get off to a good start, get a few wins in the Ivy League and hopefully continue that streak.

What got you into soccer and Dartmouth soccer specifically?

RB: I’ve played soccer my whole life. I’m the youngest of four, and I always tried to play on their teams when I was very young, around 3 or 5 years old. I just kept playing for them and switched to an academy team as I got older and that took over my life. I traveled across the country and fell in love with the sport. Ever since I was little, I knew I wanted to play college soccer, so I kept with my academy team and went with the recruiting process. I was very focused on the Ivy League and knew that I wanted to study abroad — Dartmouth is the only Division I school where you can study abroad because of the D-Plan, so I came my freshman year for a soccer camp. I fell in love with the campus and am not a city person so I really loved the outdoorsiness. I did a study abroad in Barcelona last winter, and it was one of my highlights at Dartmouth so far.

What was it like being named First Team All-Ivy last year?

RB: Honestly, I was very honored. Personally, I’ve changed positions, I’m attacking more now and have a different role on the team. But overall, these personal achievements are a goal of mine, but I just hope that my team wins more Ivy League games. If the achievements come with the team results, then that’s great, too.

Can you elaborate on the attacking mindset?

RB: Last season, we weren’t producing much attacking-wise. We changed our formation a little with two attacking, and that’s carried over to the season. We’ve changed our formation overall this year as well, with a 3-5-2. I think that has generated more attacking chances — with only three defenders, we’re less defensive-minded.

Lastly, what are your personal goals for the season?

RB: I hope to just continue to contribute as much as I can. I’ve definitely increased my scoring, but my assists have come down this season and I want to bring that back up. I want to lead on the field, control center midfield as best as I can and help wherever I can.

This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity and length.