Weekday Roundup: Week Three

Women’s Lacrosse

For the first 40 minutes of play, the Big Green hung with No. 15 Boston College on Wednesday. But the Eagles pulled away over the final 21 minutes, turning a 7-7 tie into a 16-9 victory and dropping Dartmouth to 5-6 overall on the season.

The first half ended 7-5 in favor of the Eagles. Taryn Deck ’17 added a free position shot to begin the second period and assisted Kierra Sweeney ’19 on another tally with 22:37 left, pulling Dartmouth even with Boston College. Then the Eagles turned on the afterburners. Kate Weeks and Sam Apuzzo combined for six of Boston College’s eight goals, locking up the Eagles’ eleventh win of the season.

Elizabeth Mastrio ’19 and Deck led the Big Green, making a hat trick each, with Deck’s trio coming on just four shots.

Kiera Vrindten ’20 played the full 60 minutes in the cage. The freshman goalkeeper made 14 saves on 36 shots from the Eagles, passing the 100-save mark for the season.

Though 0-4 in the Ivy League, Dartmouth still has a path into the Ivy League Tournament on paper. To sneak into fourth place by the season’s end, the team would have to win out in the Ancient Eight — beginning with No. 8 Cornell University on Saturday — and get some help from the teams above it.

Baseball

The baseball team lost at home, 9-5, to the University of Massachusetts, Lowell, Tuesday at Red Rolfe Field in Hanover.

The River Hawk offense struck early in the first inning against starting pitcher Jackson Bubala ’17, putting three runs on the board. Nate Ostmo ’19 went 2-for-4 on the day with a double and a triple while scoring two runs. Matt Feinstein ’19 and Michael Ketchmark ’17 each provided two hits in the loss, while Trevor Johnson ’20 scored two runs. A total of seven pitchers made appearances, with Austen Michel ’20 and Clay Chatham ’18 combining to provide five innings of relief. However, the team were unable to contain UMass Lowell’s offense, which racked up 13 hits in all. The game was delayed for 42 minutes due to lightning.