Former cross-country coach and runner Maribel Sanchez Souther '96 died Saturday

Former student-athlete and coach Maribel Sanchez Souther ’96 passed away last Saturday, following a bout with cancer. She was 41.

While she was a student at Dartmouth, Souther was a member of the women’s cross country and track and field teams, where she was a four-time All-American and seven-time Ivy League Heptagonal Champion.

After graduating, Souther went on to qualify for the 2000 Olympic Trials. She then returned to Dartmouth as an assistant coach in 2002, then went on to become the head coach for the cross-country team in 2003 before stepping down in 2010.

Souther is survived by her husband and three children, aged eight, six and two, respectively.

Her husband has established a scholarship in her name, in conjunction with the Development Office at Dartmouth. You can donate to The Maribel Sanchez Souther 1996 Memorial Scholarship Fund here.

A funeral will be held this Saturday at 1 p.m., with calling hours on Friday from 6-9 p.m. at Saint Denis Catholic Church in Hanover. There will also be an informal fun run in her memory at 8 a.m. this Saturday on the Dartmouth Green.